General set proposals

Deborah J

Re: General set proposals

Post by Deborah J »

KingYcranos wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:48 pm
Bundesrat wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:24 pm
I hadn’t realised he was announced that early - I wonder if they ever considered a Capaldi 50th anniversary cameo?
That did happen didn't it? When he says 'All thirteen'?
I imagine he means a cameo for colin in the 20th done in the same vein of capaldi's 50th

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks »

Deborah J wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:57 pm
KingYcranos wrote:
Bundesrat wrote:
I hadn’t realised he was announced that early - I wonder if they ever considered a Capaldi 50th anniversary cameo?
I imagine he means a cameo for colin in the 20th done in the same vein of capaldi's 50th
I thought about this and never heard Terrance Dicks say a thing about it across multiple interviews and commentaries.

So, I wager that it's...

1. "The Five Doctors" already was a legendary scheduling nightmare that saw bigger roles for Jamie and Benton cut, as well as scenes for Victoria and Leela off the top of my head. He may not have been available.

2. The Doctors who did participate still were a balancing act in terms of accommodation to some degree. Even Tom Baker, to an obvious extent. Maybe adding another was pondered and decided to be too much.

3. There almost certainly wasn't a costume yet, as the interview in that magazine implies Colin and Nicola are "looking forward" to filming as production has started.

4. Strangely for a show about time travel, the Classic Series is very.....linear with its time travel and events. You never have the Rani bother Hartnell, or Ainley nip off to ruin Jo Grant's wedding. So I'm saying, most likely, it wasn't Colin's time yet so no one thought to have him pop in.

Or even a combo of the 4, but most likely #4, imo.

Bundesrat

Post by Bundesrat »

Spannerintheworks wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:41 pm
Deborah J wrote:
KingYcranos wrote:

I thought about this and never heard Terrance Dicks say a thing about it across multiple interviews and commentaries.

So, I wager that it's...

1. "The Five Doctors" already was a legendary scheduling nightmare that saw bigger roles for Jamie and Benton cut, as well as scenes for Victoria and Leela off the top of my head. He may not have been available.

2. The Doctors who did participate still were a balancing act in terms of accommodation to some degree. Even Tom Baker, to an obvious extent. Maybe adding another was pondered and decided to be too much.

3. There almost certainly wasn't a costume yet, as the interview in that magazine implies Colin and Nicola are "looking forward" to filming as production has started.

4. Strangely for a show about time travel, the Classic Series is very.....linear with its time travel and events. You never have the Rani bother Hartnell, or Ainley nip off to ruin Jo Grant's wedding. So I'm saying, most likely, it wasn't Colin's time yet so no one thought to have him pop in.

Or even a combo of the 4, but most likely #4, imo.
Lol - yes, I did mean that - I had intended to type “Capaldi-esq” and then for some reason didn’t???!!

I was intrigued by this and did a quick search and one web site (which I forget or I’d have linked) says they asked Colin to reprise Maxil and his schedule conflicted. It didn’t say they ever went back and tried again after he got the role, but I wonder if he had been free and had signed to reprise the role whether he’d have still gone on to be the Doctor?

Expect #2 would have come into play too with respect to egos and taking attention away from the established actors.

omega1963

Post by omega1963 »

Since head swaps are possible, it would be nice to get some new ice warrior variants, just need a new head and slightly different paint apps on the bodies. Would be great to have 2 new ice warriors along with a Penley figure but I realise this will probably never happen. Maybe put 2 ice warriors with a 2nd or 3rd doctor figure. Even release 1 new ice warrior along with the standard one and a 2nd doctor, then a different new ice warrior along with a third doctor and companion from one of the Peladon stories.

For Luck's Sake

Post by For Luck's Sake »

omega1963 wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:01 am
Since head swaps are possible, it would be nice to get some new ice warrior variants, just need a new head and slightly different paint apps on the bodies. Would be great to have 2 new ice warriors along with a Penley figure but I realise this will probably never happen. Maybe put 2 ice warriors with a 2nd or 3rd doctor figure. Even release 1 new ice warrior along with the standard one and a 2nd doctor, then a different new ice warrior along with a third doctor and companion from one of the Peladon stories.
An Ice Lord surely must be possible with existing tooling. You could use the Axon-man body, new chest wrap, arms and pop a new head on for Seeds of Death Ice Lord. Add a cape and you have a Peladon Ice Lord Variant. They could us a darker wash on the ice warrior for a Peladon look, but I agree that it would be great to see a second, slightly different head. Perhaps they could make the Fat-Head Ice Warrior? (who appears in Ice Warrior and Monster of Peladon)

The Outcast

Post by The Outcast »

They could do:
Seeds of Death
- 2nd Doctor (with heat guns accessories)
- Ice Lord (new head, hands and chest plate piece on Axon body)
- Ice Warrior (with sonic gun on arm)

Curse of Peladon
- 3rd Doctor
- Ice Lord (with cape)
- Ice Warrior

Could be some additional accessory in the latter set to make it more worth to collectors.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

Spannerintheworks wrote:
There was actually an unwritten rule that kicked around fandom -- and maybe ancillary material like books and comics -- that Time Lord could only meet each other in their own present times, which is why the Master and the Doctor always met following their previous televised encounter.

The actual reason? Because TV show.

:)

But to get this back on topic... I always wondered if they'd ever release a Bessie with all five actors from the publicity shot, including the waxwork Tom.

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks »

skifflebits wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:19 pm
Spannerintheworks wrote:
There was actually an unwritten rule that kicked around fandom -- and maybe ancillary material like books and comics -- that Time Lord could only meet each other in their own present times, which is why the Master and the Doctor always met following their previous televised encounter.

But to get this back on topic... I always wondered if they'd ever release a Bessie with all five actors from the publicity shot, including the waxwork Tom.
I feel like Bessie is one of the biggest missed Character opportunities for us.....because they clearly had a prototype when the Classic line started.

You know that probably would've been released a couple times; almost certainly with Baker and Pertwee at the least.

KingYcranos

Post by KingYcranos »

Deborah J wrote:
KingYcranos wrote:
Bundesrat wrote:
Ah, I see that now
Did someone say Foamasi?

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

Spannerintheworks wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:01 pm
skifflebits wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:19 pm
Spannerintheworks wrote:

I feel like Bessie is one of the biggest missed Character opportunities for us.....because they clearly had a prototype when the Classic line started.

You know that probably would've been released a couple times; almost certainly with Baker and Pertwee at the least.
I think it never came to be because it would have been such a big box on the shelf, and CO says the battle for shelf space is always a tough one.