The “Questions for The Lurker” thread

Theta Sigma

Re: The “Questions for The Lurker” thread

Post by Theta Sigma »

Deborah J wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:21 pm
We all have that one illusive figure we'd like to see rereleased, I've personally been watering Al's houseplants every time he's been on holiday for the past 5 years in the hope I could get him to put a cloaked Hartnell into a B&M set, but sadly I think even rereleased are always limited by how much demand there'd be. If wishes were horses the toy aisle would be nothing but legacy who figures
That, or they never come because Al's always in a foul mood coming home from holiday after finding his plastic fern has peed on his carpet every time.
Formerly Thete, and Theta Sigma of DWT fora past...

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

Theta Sigma wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:27 pm
Deborah J wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:21 pm
We all have that one illusive figure we'd like to see rereleased, I've personally been watering Al's houseplants every time he's been on holiday for the past 5 years in the hope I could get him to put a cloaked Hartnell into a B&M set, but sadly I think even rereleased are always limited by how much demand there'd be. If wishes were horses the toy aisle would be nothing but legacy who figures
That, or they never come because Al's always in a foul mood coming home from holiday after finding his plastic fern has peed on his carpet every time.
Yeah, it seeped through the rug one time and ruined his parquet flooring, that's why fur coat Troughton got cancelled. But you can't blame a girl for trying.

Bundesrat

Post by Bundesrat »

Question for the Lurker

Hi Al

Apologies in advance as I have a suspicion this might have been asked/answered before, but what comes first - the figure or the mould, i.e. do you create a mould and make the first figure from it, or create a figure and then create the mould from it? I’m wondering for unreleased figures like the fur coat Troughton are moulds in existence so should all the stars align you could start manufacture straight away.

Again, I think this may have been asked/answered, but do you personally have up in your loft at least 1 of every released/unreleased figure - and are they still in their boxes? What about CO Towers, does the company retain examples of all products?

TheOnComingStorm

Post by TheOnComingStorm »

Theta Sigma wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:29 pm
skifflebits wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:27 pm
For Luck's Sake wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:53 pm

Only if they throw in B&W 1st and 2nd Doctors for Theta Sigma as well. Otherwise it will be "Everyone Stop Whining- Except Theta Sigma Pack." Or as I like to call it "The Lone Cyber-Whiner" pack.

Beware the Lone Cyber-Whiner
Definitely beware. His story will come to an abrupt and unsatisfying end during the season finale.

;)
You know, I had a life before becoming the preeminent Greel/Sin moaner. Hopes, aspirations...I deserve more sympathy than this. Let's all acknowledge that Al made me what I am. ;)
skifflebits wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:40 pm
In all seriousness, Theta, here's a decent price for an OOP Greel & Sin on Eaby.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Doctor-Who-L ... SwRCZfw6sX

Though if you're looking for it MIP, that may be a tougher find.
Ideally, I would love them in package, but if Al is already rooting through drawers for a look see, having two loose sets arrive would technically make me a hoarder of Greels and Sins. That would be a twist of M Night Shyamalanic proportions For Luck's Sake's couldn't even handle.
Ah hem... I believe Al was talking to me when he mentioned rooting through his attic.... ;)

BoundryHopper

Post by BoundryHopper »

I'd like a re-release of the giant maggots in a pack on their own so I can buy loads of them!! Did this with the cybermat release, but only managed to get one 3rd Doctor & Maggots set :(
:evil: #SAYNOTOSCALPERS :twisted:

Jamie1D

Post by Jamie1D »

BoundryHopper wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:35 pm
I'd like a re-release of the giant maggots in a pack on their own so I can buy loads of them!! Did this with the cybermat release, but only managed to get one 3rd Doctor & Maggots set :(
The Maggots are one of the few gaps in my collection so I agree with this!

RoseyT

Post by RoseyT »

Maybe another enemies of the 3rd Doctor Set could work. Sea Devil, Maggots, Omega :P

Pants of Pigbin Josh

Post by Pants of Pigbin Josh »

Throw in the Green Death fly and some Metebelis spiders with the maggots and you could have a 'Creepy Crawlies of the 3rd Doctor' set! ;)

Lurker at the Edge

Post by Lurker at the Edge »

im liking the Giant fly and Maggots idea! ... nice ...but never gonna happen

The Green Death Set (circa 1972)
  • Three giant Maggots with GITD paint
    Giant fly
    The 3rd Doctor in cleaning lady outfit
    Jo Grant with 'Green Death' GITD arm wound
    Sachet of green 'Global Chemicals' Toxic Slime
    Sachet of Professor Jones 'Magic Mushrooms' ...to sprinkle into your tea and enjoy an out of body existential play experience!

and on another note:

Question
    Apologies in advance as I have a suspicion this might have been asked/answered before, but what comes first - the figure or the mould, i.e. do you create a mould and make the first figure from it, or create a figure and then create the mould from it? I’m wondering for unreleased figures like the fur coat Troughton are moulds in existence so should all the stars align you could start manufacture straight away.

Answer
    • First you make a sculpt (digital or physical
      Then you break the sculpt down into its manufacturable parts and remake it as a model with all the various connections and fittings
      Then you create an 'electrode' for each piece
      Then you burn away the steel in the mould (one half) using the electrodes to create the tools
      Then you case harden the steel

you cant just make something from the sculpt it takes months to go from a sculpt to a finished set of tools plus the debug time and cleanup etc ...

Again, I think this may have been asked/answered, but do you personally have up in your loft at least 1 of every released/unreleased figure - and are they still in their boxes? What about CO Towers, does the company retain examples of all products

Answer
      No .. i only keep the ones that mean the most to me .. usually the Classics
      CO keeps product boxed in an archive which is occasionally delved into ...
      Released/unreleased figures tend to be sculpts .. most go to the Far East and are usually destroyed in the manufacturing process ... sadly

Kaldor

Post by Kaldor »

Lurker at the Edge wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:43 pm
im liking the Giant fly and Maggots idea! ... nice ... it’s definitely gonna happen

The Green Death Set (circa 1972)
  • Three giant Maggots with GITD paint
    Giant fly
    The 3rd Doctor in cleaning lady outfit
    Jo Grant with 'Green Death' GITD arm wound
    Sachet of green 'Global Chemicals' Toxic Slime

I love this new B&M set, even as a draft. Sounds great. Kids would love the slime, Jo would probably be easy to do (straight repaint of Donna Noble’s fur coat), though I imagine amending jo’s hair to fit the coat might be a problem, maybe?
I’ve never managed to get hold of the maggots, so I’d love that rerelease and Glow In The Dark too would be awesome.
As for 3rd Doc Cleaning Lady, it would be such an awesome figure, but that would definitely require new sculpts all over the shop. Maybe just a straight rerelease of the original Green Death 3rd Doc would be awesome. Or even better, stick his cloak on him this time round! We got it on the 4th Doctor for the Talons figure, I reckon we could go again, right?