The “Questions for The Lurker” thread

Spannerintheworks

Re: The “Questions for The Lurker” thread

Post by Spannerintheworks »

Wholords2 wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:37 pm
I have a lighter and more cheery question to ask that isn’t related to new product or anything!

If the licence for the Sarah Jane adventures line continued what would you have liked to do?
Er, might want to read the last few posts this week.

And on a wider note, yes - firmly agree with a "members only" section. We're lucky to have dialogue like this, so some care being taken makes absolute sense.

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

is that within the mod's power to set up? Or would we need to summon Marcus to do that? Because he is a slippery fish to get hold of.

Bundesrat

Post by Bundesrat »

I fear the closed-group idea may be a non-starter.

Above all, would Al want to participate in such a group? Setting up a private group on here would attract far more attention than the current open forum does, leading to all sorts of unfounded rumours being circulated as to what secrets have been shared with no means for anyone outside of the group to verify if it is true or not, and who would believe the denials of the group members (“well they would say that, wouldn’t they.....”).

What would be the criteria for membership - who decides who can speak to Al and who can’t? What sort of potential resentment could refusal to permit entry engender? How long before someone genuinely - or maliciously - emails CO to complain about their exclusion.

The whole thing could bring a whole heap of attention and hassle on Al - exactly what he wants to avoid.

Everything comes to an end, and if this is it then we’ve had a fantastic experience.

Maybe we need a “Messages for The Lurker” thread now, where we post, and Al can read (without logging on so leaving no trail), but not comment.

Kaldor

Post by Kaldor »

Bundesrat wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:11 pm

Above all, would Al want to participate in such a group? Setting up a private group on here would attract far more attention than the current open forum does, leading to all sorts of unfounded rumours being circulated as to what secrets have been shared with no means for anyone outside of the group to verify if it is true or not, and who would believe the denials of the group members (“well they would say that, wouldn’t they.....”).

What would be the criteria for membership - who decides who can speak to Al and who can’t? What sort of potential resentment could refusal to permit entry engender? How long before someone genuinely - or maliciously - emails CO to complain about their exclusion.

The whole thing could bring a whole heap of attention and hassle on Al - exactly what he wants to avoid.

Everything comes to an end, and if this is it then we’ve had a fantastic experience.

Maybe we need a “Messages for The Lurker” thread now, where we post, and Al can read (without logging on so leaving no trail), but not comment.
:?
I’m vastly confused by your post. It’s a registered members only section. Not an exclusive committee.

Bundesrat

Post by Bundesrat »

Kaldor wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:05 am
Bundesrat wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:11 pm

:?
I’m vastly confused by your post. It’s a registered members only section. Not an exclusive committee.
This is from the FAQ on this very site -

Where are the usergroups and how do I join one?
You can view all usergroups via the “Usergroups” link within your User Control Panel. If you would like to join one, proceed by clicking the appropriate button. Not all groups have open access, however. Some may require approval to join, some may be closed and some may even have hidden memberships. If the group is open, you can join it by clicking the appropriate button. If a group requires approval to join you may request to join by clicking the appropriate button. The user group leader will need to approve your request and may ask why you want to join the group.Please do not harass a group leader if they reject your request; they will have their reasons.

If you don’t do something like that you are hardly offering much in the way of greater protection than we have now.

Not that I think it will happen whatever the scenario for the reasons given above,

JamieBate

Post by JamieBate »

A thousand times please can we have a season 18 Tom rerelease

Theta Sigma

Post by Theta Sigma »

Deborah J wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:30 pm
is that within the mod's power to set up? Or would we need to summon Marcus to do that? Because he is a slippery fish to get hold of.
Not mods, but Admins can add or change permissions.
Bundesrat wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:16 am
This is from the FAQ on this very site -

Where are the usergroups and how do I join one?
You can view all usergroups via the “Usergroups” link within your User Control Panel. If you would like to join one, proceed by clicking the appropriate button. Not all groups have open access, however. Some may require approval to join, some may be closed and some may even have hidden memberships. If the group is open, you can join it by clicking the appropriate button. If a group requires approval to join you may request to join by clicking the appropriate button. The user group leader will need to approve your request and may ask why you want to join the group.Please do not harass a group leader if they reject your request; they will have their reasons.

If you don’t do something like that you are hardly offering much in the way of greater protection than we have now.

Not that I think it will happen whatever the scenario for the reasons given above,
That's not what I was suggesting. I merely suggested that the board or subfora permissions be set so non-logged in members cannot view the board, a or subforum; not that a "super secret members only usergroup" be created. That's a far different prospect (albeit possible too).
Formerly Thete, and Theta Sigma of DWT fora past...

DocWho94

Post by DocWho94 »

So sorry this has happened. I was a lurker for a long time before creating an account only recently. However I always kept things to myself. It’s a shame that others can’t do that as well.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

I would be 100% in favor of making this a thread only forum members could see.

DalekCheese

Post by DalekCheese »

Me too. A section where potential figure spoilers could be mentioned without worry would be good.