The “Questions for The Lurker” thread

JM2000

Re: The “Questions for The Lurker” thread

Post by JM2000 »

Are New-Who fans getting anything from B&M this year or are they just getting completely f*cked over?

ToyBoxOfRassilon

Post by ToyBoxOfRassilon »

JM2000 wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:42 pm
Are New-Who fans getting anything from B&M this year or are they just getting completely f*cked over?
Toys aren't cheap to make
Pandemic means even harder to sell
Classic who is 100% guaranteed to sell
New who been done to death, nothing new REALLY easy to do on budget
New who not guaranteed to sell AS WELL as classic

You see where I'm getting at..?
AS a new who fan I'd love more but it completely makes sense as to why there's less new who stuff being made nowadays

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks »

Considering the 5.5 line has displayed cat or Time Lord- like returns from near death (I mean, just off the top of my head there was retailers like TRU and Woolworths going down, the move to 3.75, being told the Classics line was done, being told the Collectors line was done, being told the B&M line was strictly reissues/repaints, and belatedly learning that the 2018 B&M line could've been "the last one" if I recall correctly) I think it's unfair to consider ourselves as collectors "f*cked".

Toy Box makes some great points, and I'd only add Al and Character have been building this line back in a way that's given us more and more possibilities. Maybe trust them? Maybe you won't get exactly what you want immediately, but so long as they keep doing well you still could. :)

For Luck's Sake

Post by For Luck's Sake »

Lurker at the Edge wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:11 pm
I have a question and a comment.

Question: What made you decide to do a Fendahl figure? It's not from one of Tom's "classics," and the giant slug form is only on screen for a few scenes. And it is a big darn figure (one of the largest CO has done to date?)

Comment: The Fendahl figure is bloody BRILLIANT! Image of the Fendahl was one of my first Target books and instantly my favorite, I read it several times as a kid in the Wilderness Years. I only saw Image of the Fendahl on DVD for the first time a few years ago. One of the few instances of the story living up to the novelization. The figure is stunning, and I have it on my office shelf just in shot for Zoom meetings- during which I mumble "ders summin comin. Do you ere it? Summin comin'!"

Wha you taalking about?... An wot koind of a names spanner anywaze?..you a car iz yee boy?
Jus wait till i tell that Ted Moss wot eeh says! ... Ha .. HA! ... not a Classic? ... away with you boy! ...Not A Classic? you says?
You don aff tell some whoppers eeh do!

Mind eeh ... twen i thinks on it ....., I's forgot Ted Moss got isel turned inter won oh them baby Fendahls! ..... i seen garden snails with more sense! tsk!
This literally made my week.

ToyBoxOfRassilon

Post by ToyBoxOfRassilon »

For Luck's Sake wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:03 pm
Lurker at the Edge wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:11 pm
I have a question and a comment.

Question: What made you decide to do a Fendahl figure? It's not from one of Tom's "classics," and the giant slug form is only on screen for a few scenes. And it is a big darn figure (one of the largest CO has done to date?)

Comment: The Fendahl figure is bloody BRILLIANT! Image of the Fendahl was one of my first Target books and instantly my favorite, I read it several times as a kid in the Wilderness Years. I only saw Image of the Fendahl on DVD for the first time a few years ago. One of the few instances of the story living up to the novelization. The figure is stunning, and I have it on my office shelf just in shot for Zoom meetings- during which I mumble "ders summin comin. Do you ere it? Summin comin'!"

Wha you taalking about?... An wot koind of a names spanner anywaze?..you a car iz yee boy?
Jus wait till i tell that Ted Moss wot eeh says! ... Ha .. HA! ... not a Classic? ... away with you boy! ...Not A Classic? you says?
You don aff tell some whoppers eeh do!

Mind eeh ... twen i thinks on it ....., I's forgot Ted Moss got isel turned inter won oh them baby Fendahls! ..... i seen garden snails with more sense! tsk!
This literally made my week.
made my bloody year, because I had to spend a whole 365 days trying to understand the writing :lol: :?

Uncle_Abe

Post by Uncle_Abe »

Question for Al:

Is it fair to say that the line seems to be picking up in popularity again, and, if so, how far off are we from getting the kind of sales required to justify new machining?

Totally understand if you can't answer this one, and thanks for the toys!

Doctor What

Post by Doctor What »

ToyBoxOfRassilon wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:10 pm
JM2000 wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:42 pm
Toys aren't cheap to make
Pandemic means even harder to sell
Classic who is 100% guaranteed to sell
New who been done to death, nothing new REALLY easy to do on budget
New who not guaranteed to sell AS WELL as classic

You see where I'm getting at..?
AS a new who fan I'd love more but it completely makes sense as to why there's less new who stuff being made nowadays
You've pretty much nailed it there I think, it would be nice to have some new series stuff but the classics clearly sell well and there's a lot more cool stuff that can be done in these sets from the old series. Obviously we're missing the likes of the Fugitive Doctor, S12 Master, new Cybermen etc but i'd imagine those are more likely to come out in another wave closer to the next series or as something like an online exclusive. Bit needlessly hostile to say that fans are being "f*cked over".

Bundesrat

Post by Bundesrat »

Question for The Lurker

Both the Omega and the Sea Devil figures had part of their outfit made from cloth. Was this always intended to be limited to just those 2 releases or was consideration given to other doing similar with other figures? Were they a lot more expensive to produce than had just plastic and paint been used? Are these not realistic re-releases (in this form anyway) as part of the B&M range due to cost?

Thanks

Lurker at the Edge

Post by Lurker at the Edge »

If you feel hard done by - Simply abstain from purchasing our products .... it'll avoid disappointment.
Last edited by Lurker at the Edge on Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Lurker at the Edge

Post by Lurker at the Edge »

Q - Both the Omega and the Sea Devil figures had part of their outfit made from cloth. Was this always intended to be limited to just those 2 releases or was consideration given to other doing similar with other figures? Were they a lot more expensive to produce than had just plastic and paint been used? Are these not realistic re-releases (in this form anyway) as part of the B&M range due to cost?

A - to be honest i just figured that was the best way to do the figures. i really couldn't see the Sea devil working well with a rigid plastic net ... my only change would be to dye the net a grubby grey. on Omega it got very close to being a plastic cape just because finding the right material was getting harder and harder .. but again i really felt the figure needed that look .. the smaller you make a figure the trickier it is to get the fabric to 'scale' correctly . which is why its more common to make them in plastic .. but my pet name for those is 'lack of action figures' where they have legs and a massive rigid plastic cloak or shroud .. kinda defeats the point ..