The “Questions for The Lurker” thread

Lurker at the Edge

Re: The “Questions for The Lurker” thread

Post by Lurker at the Edge »

Q - Is it fair to say that the line seems to be picking up in popularity again, and, if so, how far off are we from getting the kind of sales required to justify new machining? Totally understand if you can't answer this one, and thanks for the toys!
a - Cant answer this one .. sorry in all that.

Lurker at the Edge

q - For the next time you pop on here: Why did the tomb cybermen end up with really THICC necks? Have my first in front of my and never really noticed until people pointed it out and made customs that are "more accurate" Was wondering if there was a reason for it manufacturing wise or if it was a design choice or even just a mistake?

A - Clearly a mistake as I've actually never noticed that .. the guys who did the sculpting are normally very good. il need to see if something changed between the sculpting stage and the final plastics ... VERY intriguing and thanks for that tidbit! ...

Now im off to rummage through the Celestial Toybox ... for a tomb Cyberman

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

I've got to say, I find it fascinating how the interest in various eras has changed over time, I remember as a teenager getting into classic who, the figure range had been going a few years, the word was that classic series figures wouldn't happen because there wasn't the interest in them, in fact we were told even a proper normal articulation 9th doctor was too far from current to warrant making, and this was during tennant's run, it's amazing how much the landscape has changed in that time, classic figures are by far the bigger draw now. If I had to guess I'd say it's because the era of the new series with the biggest fan interest (rtd and early moffat) is pretty much covered for figures, s1-5 we have just about everything we could ask for. Later new-who tends to get less popular as you go along (I love it all but that's neither here nor there) but the classic series just gets more and more popular as time goes by, with everything available on dvd now, all of it on britbox, and the ever growing bluray collection it's not hard to see why interest in the classic series is so much more bankable than it was 15 years ago. Personally I couldn't be happier about that, there are a smattering of things I'd really like figures of from the revival, mostly s7-10 stuff, the bulk of things I'd love a figure of are classic, the 60s and 80s companions (I wanted more 70s companions but we've literally got all but one of them now) the classic monsters, some of the old releases I missed, we're really being treated with things like that, I love it.

ToyBoxOfRassilon

Post by ToyBoxOfRassilon »

Lurker at the Edge wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:27 pm
q - For the next time you pop on here: Why did the tomb cybermen end up with really THICC necks? Have my first in front of my and never really noticed until people pointed it out and made customs that are "more accurate" Was wondering if there was a reason for it manufacturing wise or if it was a design choice or even just a mistake?

A - Clearly a mistake as I've actually never noticed that .. the guys who did the sculpting are normally very good. il need to see if something changed between the sculpting stage and the final plastics ... VERY intriguing and thanks for that tidbit! ...

Now im off to rummage through the Celestial Toybox ... for a tomb Cyberman
You mean the... Toy Box of Rassilon ;)

Also, strange... I've heard many people have mentioned it ever since it first came out and I'm genuinely surprised you haven't noticed! It uh... would be good if we could maybe... get an updated version ;) :D

Lurker at the Edge

once Seen ... forever it cant be unseen!

THICK NECK

Well Good Lordy Lord .. knock me over with a feather ...So here's my take on it .. i think the figure is more right than wrong.. if you google Tomb what you tend to get is one image coming up time and again of a cybie seen from below which gives the neck and face a very dynamic tapered 'V' effect ..

However- if you look at the behind the scenes images and the screen caps its actually about right ..the tomb controller also has this rounded face ... they are from the same heritage ..This rounded face and chin and wide almost parallel neck carries right over to Revenge and Earthshock .. All the cyber helmets arte basically trackable back to the original Tomb ones ...

i suspect TWO THINGS - ONE there's probably one specific Cyberman helmet that has a slightly warped neck .. i say that because on that slim faced and necked cyberman the neck sides which are parallel are actually tapered meaning either the mask is warped OR TWO (more likely) a particular lens was used to shoot that image which has given it the slightly tapered look ... i say this because they would use for publicity shots one or two particularr images which would be more posed and dynamic ..

so my opinion stands ... the neck to me looks broadly (no pun intended) alright

Al

ToyBoxOfRassilon

I stand by the fact the neck isn't exactly thick, just slightly off! FEAR ME!

The chin and neck seem fine, it's more of the jaw which needs (from what I see) to be slightly higher up with the indent being further inwards at that point, otherwise, it seems fine.

Not sure how to describe it, but if you have the head of the figure and look at some of the helmet props, looking at it from the front and down a bit, the head of the figure resembled more of a "U" whereas the props resemble more of a more pointy U... The jaws need a little more definition maybe? Not sure.

Either way, there have been "accurate" versions made of the tomb controller and standard head so I might try get those so I can see the differences.

(PS maybe the head is just a little squat? the neck seems a TINY bit longer on the actual ones which I think is throwing me off... really not sure)

and the tomb controller's head seems to be the skinnier kind too. Looking at most shots from the episode I agree, definitely looks more like the figure (in most shots), but the props look different which is why most people think it looks odd I reckon (including me)

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks »

It's funny, the response on Cyberman THICC necks made me look over the episode, the figure, I even dug out the "Collection" book (a surviving helmet is pictured; That book is a treasure if you want to see props that were still with us in 2013 - Mavic Chen's Spar! The Jaguar headress from the Aztecs!)

I can kinda see both points. Overall, that figure (who, again, has been off the market and could stand a reissue ;) ) does kinda have a broader neck....if we go by certain pictures. I pulled up "Moonbase" shots and the helmet look dead on for most close ups. (And given production budgets, you KNOW they reused those helmets.) On the one hand, I would've assumed the 1967 helmets were all produced from the same mould.

On the other hand, look at the Ice Warriors. Even if we overlook THAT one oversized Helmet, even the others have little size and dimensional quirks.

The figure is good by me. I agree, broadly correct. Really, probably the most elaborate Cyberman figure we got in some ways considering all the cables and piping which somehow manage to not restrict articulation.

ToyBoxOfRassilon

It's probably my favourite figure ever, don't know why really... It's just beautiful!

(even if it's a little chonky ;) )

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

tomb was the first classic cyberboi I got a figure of, I'd wanted an invasion one but argos only had tenth planet and tomb, and much as I love the tp design I went tomb because I thought if I only ever got one of that wave I'd rather it be a more standard cybery looking boi. I got the tp and invasion and another tomb in the tesco set for christmas that year, so it all worked out. Even won myself a lightly damaged next doctor leader last year in an ebay auction, and I have the B&M tomb controller, so it took a while but I have all the cyberwave now

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks »

Shoutout to that Original "Tomb" release having TWO Cybermats included too. :D

In fact, the often unsung tragedy of no "Wheel in Space" Cyberman means no accompanying Cybermat! We've gotten every other significant Cybermat except him!