The “Questions for The Lurker” thread

DalekCheese

Re: The “Questions for The Lurker” thread

Post by DalekCheese »

Lurker at the Edge wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:46 pm
Q - I just wanted to ask why the Daleks in the History of the Daleks sets #3 and #4 have a lighter grey on their shoulder sections, rather than the dark grey of earlier releases?

A -Well a few points
    I always try work from reference material if i can get it thats from behind the scenes and where at all possible in colour. for this story the shoulders seemed lighter in a good few of those images and tonally similar in the screen caps though there are some variations between Daleks.
      There are no surviving paint codes or reference for ALL these early stories so to a degree some are open to interpretation.
        In most Dalek stories a repaint or partial repaint, between stories depending on what props were needed, seems to have happened at Shawcraft in Uxbridge along with other ongoing repairs.
          From what i know and i could be wrong, many of the Dalek 'experts' cant say for sure what colour these early Daleks were.(so have arrived at an agreed set colours now (RAL codes). But these (i believe) have been established over time as best guesses?

I know many folk feel strongly these colours this time around were wrong and although I concede i erred on the side of lightness, i actually think the look of the lighter grey looks very good on these Daleks and as the colour scheme of the B&W 60's Daleks generally tends to be portrayed as same/same from set to set and .... i dont think changing it up a little is a huge problem.

To me the tone of the Daleks overall was very similar and ... if you ever want to check the tone of something, look at it with half closed eyes .. That helps make the tones much clearer to see and its a good way to check. To me the tone of the grey on these daleks was very similar to the silver of the skirts and domes.

A bit subjective really i guess it just one of those things .. However .. i further concede that not everyone will agree with that point of view.

as an aside_

I've seen some other comments on various sites re the Imperial Dalek with folks citing multitudinous inaccuracies with it and the other Dales sets etc but they have to remember we have one set of body tools to create ALL Daleks from so like the TARDIS there are limitations and these are toys not perfect replica models .. i think sometimes people get confused about that.

if new parts have to be made to fit the existing Dalek body tooling thats what we'll do .. we won't retool the entire Dalek to get an updated body style .. its not cost effective. With the mesh we might have tried to rework that but there was no time from the point the product was added into the line to do it. We can only work within the limitations of the tools that exist and We try our best is what I'm saying, but it won't always match expectations and as consumers you guys have the right to not buy something if you feel its not for you.
          I’m going to say two things, and I’m sure that almost everyone here will agree with at least one.
          1) I like the lighter greys. Iirc the Project Dalek people decided on a much lighter code eventually- odd studio lighting was throwing it off.
          2) There are a few small inaccuracies with the Impies, but they’re such lovely figures that I’m sure everyone’s still happy with them! We’re Who-fans, grumbling’s in our nature ;). I completely appreciate the limitations placed on you, as I’m sure we all do. We’re still in awe of your (and all the nameless others!) work to bring us such great things.

Kaldor

Post by Kaldor »

Kaldor wrote:
          Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:34 pm
          Kaldor wrote:
          Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:15 pm
          Kaldor wrote:
          Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:05 pm
          I’ve got a question, sir!

How come Ace can be released with her accessories- both a backpack, rocket launcher and a rocket... but we struggle to see the release of sonic screwdrivers- particularly in a set (ie 12 and Davros) where the screwdriver is integral to the story?
          Neon Wolf wrote:
          Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:43 pm
          Will the new Davros in the two pack have the inside of the chair painted black or silver like the original release?

Why did the original Imperial Dalek have a blue eye?
          Seeing as the terrestrial toymaker has returned to answer questions! Here are some more :)

Bundesrat

Post by Bundesrat »

Q - I just wanted to ask why the Daleks in the History of the Daleks sets #3 and #4 have a lighter grey on their shoulder sections, rather than the dark grey of earlier releases?
          I think it has also been said previously that there is a desire to deliberately make these ‘re-issues’ a little different so as not to impact necessarily the rarity/value of the originals - and also to give those who have the originals more of a reason to purchase ‘again’ as the re-issues are not identical to those already in hand.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

I've seen some other comments on various sites re the Imperial Dalek with folks citing multitudinous inaccuracies with it and the other Dales sets etc but they have to remember we have one set of body tools to create ALL Daleks from so like the TARDIS there are limitations and these are toys not perfect replica models .. i think sometimes people get confused about that.
          I'm always confused when people go on rants about tiny details being "off." These are toys, not models. They're an action figure interpretation of people and creatures we saw on TV. They're not going to be 1000% accurate.

Except for those giant pivot joints Tom Baker actually has on his arms. They got those down perfectly.

Lurker at the Edge

Post by Lurker at the Edge »

ha ha .. i met him once and those are exact replica's

Al

Wholords2

Post by Wholords2 »

I have a question!!

Is the mould for the timelord figure still available and is that something you’d like to use in a B&M set down the line?
          Insta-@wholords2
          Twitter-@wholords2

Making customs and collecting Doctor who figures for over a decade

BoundryHopper

Post by BoundryHopper »

skifflebits wrote:
          Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:32 am
          I'm always confused when people go on rants about tiny details being "off." These are toys, not models. They're an action figure interpretation of people and creatures we saw on TV. They're not going to be 1000% accurate.

Except for those giant pivot joints Tom Baker actually has on his arms. They got those down perfectly.
          The toys argument these days are along blurry lines. The range started as toys but are now described on the packaging as Limited Edition and Collector's Sets. This move them into a bracket where accuracy is considered more important. For the price point however they are doing fine I think. I would LOVE an accurate shape Imperial Dalek (or 8) but unless people go out and buy up every bit of stock and beg other shops to stock them the range doesn't make enough money to make it worthwhile.

I'm just enjoying the fact we're getting anything at all, let alone new head sculpts!!
          :evil: #SAYNOTOSCALPERS :twisted:

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

Hey there, Mr. Al!

This may be out of your wheelhouse, but the History of the Daleks sets seem to be sold out in the US. Do you know if the distributor will be getting any more?

Big thanks!

scottg10

Post by scottg10 »

skifflebits wrote:
          Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:51 pm
          Hey there, Mr. Al!

This may be out of your wheelhouse, but the History of the Daleks sets seem to be sold out in the US. Do you know if the distributor will be getting any more?

Big thanks!
          You can try asking them directly at Amazon using the below link They responded to me when the first Fourth Doctor Companions set was temporarily sold out.

https://www.amazon.com/sp?_encoding=UTF ... &sshmPath=

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

scottg10 wrote:
          Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:00 am
          skifflebits wrote:
          Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:51 pm
          Hey there, Mr. Al!

Big thanks!
          You can try asking them directly at Amazon using the below link They responded to me when the first Fourth Doctor Companions set was temporarily sold out.

https://www.amazon.com/sp?_encoding=UTF ... &sshmPath=
          Oo! Good to know. Thanks!