The “Questions for The Lurker” thread

TheOnComingStorm

Re: The “Questions for The Lurker” thread

Post by TheOnComingStorm »

Hi Al,

I just want to say how much I love the photographic backgrounds used for the Dalek packs. This was a genius idea as it gives us not only a feel for the episode but a fantastic diaroma for the figures for play and display. I would love to see more of this in future releases if possible. I had a thought, the 'Companions of the Fourth Doctor' set could have had the interior of the 4th Dr's TARDIS as a background, a Unit room/office for the Unit set and 13's Tardis interior for the 'Friends and Foe' set. Even if it's a lower opacity, the figures could still pop and stand out. It's more exiting than just white backgrounds. Thank you again for this year's stunning selection of figures.

vitodim

Post by vitodim »

Lurker at the Edge wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:54 pm
I dont want to answer questions relating to possible future variants as it could lead to so many issues .. id rather answer

why did you
what would you like etc ..

keeps it nice and clean and clear that way ... So to the Question what figure id have like to put in i have a top 3....

1/ Ogron! .... always loved them and they'd be blooming huge!
2/ Candyman
3/ Wiirn Noah with interchangeable arm and head parts ...
I would be down for all of those. I'd also love a Draconian!
Image I am geek, hear me roar!

vitodim

Post by vitodim »

Here's a couple of questions for the Lurker -

Some of the new sets on Amazon in the US are already "Currently Not Available". Will they be getting additional stock?

Have you ever been inspired to create new figures from parts of existing figures by seeing what customizers have done? There are a couple of times I saw great customs and then sometime later, the same "recipe" was used to make a new figure.

Also, it was a very good move to drop the prices from $50 to $40. It's a much more reasonable price. I still think $35 is the sweet spot from a consumer standpoint, but since I know nothing about the wholesale and shipping costs, that may not be a reasonable price from your perspective.

As a US fan, I'd just like to say thanks for selling directly in the US. I was straining relationships in the UK by begging friends to scour B&Ms to get me figures.
Image I am geek, hear me roar!

TheOnComingStorm

Post by TheOnComingStorm »

Another question regarding packaging design.

Why did you stop using a photo of the real actor/creature on the single carded action figures? The original 2006 Wave 1- Series 4 has beautiful photographic cards/name plates. Why was this design feature dropped? I think they were beautifully designed.

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

TheOnComingStorm wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:54 am
Another question regarding packaging design.

Why did you stop using a photo of the real actor/creature on the single carded action figures? The original 2006 Wave 1- Series 4 has beautiful photographic cards/name plates. Why was this design feature dropped? I think they were beautifully designed.
I was wondering that too, it's kind of weird how the B&M sets have pictures of the figures when we can see what the figures in the box, it would make more sense to me to show what they're figures of.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

I feel like we're just bombarding Al with questions...

Lurker at the Edge

Post by Lurker at the Edge »

We did submit backgrounds for the three packs but they were rejected
And we ended up with the plain inserts. Not sure that’s gonna change.

Lurker at the Edge

I wasn’t aware of the cello tape on the tardis issue ... that’s annoying and I will report it back.

Lurker at the Edge

1. Heads - what determines if a figure has a head with a peg embedded in the body compared to a head that pops on and off?
Al - a lot of the original figures were left to the model makers and tool makers to decide the way the joints were made so its a quirk if history more than anything else but it does cause problems occasionally

2. CO have a license for Doctor Who - what does that cover by default, and what has to be negotiated on top? Also when a figure is also a likeness of an actor do you have to negotiate further clearance with them? I'm assuming where major prosthetics are used, e.g. Davros, you do not need the actor's agreement?
Al - I can’t discuss any of this.

3. Were Talon Tom''s trouser boots, Perri's longer arms and Capaldis mega boots errors that slipped through or conscious design decisions (maybe channeling the spirit of DaPol!)?
Al - basically cockroach and design errors. The boots was caused by the person who decorated the figure substituting a different figure than I gave them. When it came back it had the cloak on and I never noticed as they are super delicate at that stage and don’t get pulled around to check hidden areas. My bad really

4. We often see claimed prototypes that are a multitude of different colours. If real, why do you use different colours rather than just the one colour? Are a set also painted up in different styles as part of the development process (I don't think I've ever seen these advertised)?
Al - there are very few prototypes in reality and most are just wuirks of production where someone got it wrong or a figure for reworked on the line.
What you’re referring to by multicolour are early ‘shots’ from the tools when they are tested to see if they need repair. They use whatever plastic is lying around to make the parts ...

Lurker at the Edge

RTD era figures ... the first 4 or 5 years of B&M actually had a lot of the early new series figures in ... an awful lot. That’s not to say we won’t do them again but it seemed like we had done a lot of repeats.
There are certainly some Moffat era figures to be made but many are not easy to do.
In reality the Classic era has seemed very popular and continues to sell very well but I do understand the desire for the later ones ...
As a side note on the B&W sets that someone asked I have to say they did not sell at all well the year they were released so it’s was never repeated and when an item fails it’s A hard to reason why you’d go back to a potential problem again as any failure directly affects the success of the line.