The “Questions for The Lurker” thread

Doctor Gamer

Re: The “Questions for The Lurker” thread

Post by Doctor Gamer »

If CO could’ve had the chance to make the Torchwood figures, how do you think it would’ve differed from the SciFi Collector versions?

Lurker at the Edge

Post by Lurker at the Edge »

The ole movie Daleks remain under a separate license and we can only produce TV Daleks seen onscreen in the series so it’s a very distinct line that doesn’t relate just to the ‘claw’ sadly. I love those Movie Daleks.

Images used on pack incur an additional royalty fee which means for the last few years we’ve stopped using Photographic images on packs.

Pack inserts I have some guys that are very talented with 3D abilities but for the most part I do them myself where possible

Lurker at the Edge

The Torchwood figures is an odd story. We didn’t want them but asked that they make them a different scale from the WHO ones so they would not impact our business as we had created the 5.5 inch scale from scratch.

However the guy who had the license wanted them the same size and asked the sculptors to make them 5.5 inch and argued it through that they would be the same size but on a base.

Those Original sculpts were then all rejected as they were not good enough and they were all remade BUT through some weird quirk of fate the Far East company that made the final models made them around 1/2 an inch too large.

Lurker at the Edge

As to how I’d make them different... I’d have used good head scans and or better sculptors. I’d have had a bunch of accessories as well I think and a HUB play set

Lurker at the Edge

As an absolute rule I never look at what customisers do. It means further down the line (and it’s happened) they can say oh look CO copied my X Y or Z ... the reality is some will be close because it’s just good sense to maximise reusing figures if you can. So I avoid it.

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

Does that mean that those of us frantically making digital mockups of figures we'd like to see in the hopes that you'll see them and think "I'll have some of that" are wasting out time? Like I'm not going to stop, but I guess I can temper my expectations a little.

Wholords2

Post by Wholords2 »

I have a question, but you might not be able to answer.

Did the general retail wave sell well, and does it improve our chances of getting another general wave maybe with a new sculpt like the cyberwarrior Cyberman and Sasha master?.

Also ingoring whether it’s physically possible or not, would you like to do a ruth/ fugitive Doctor?
Insta-@wholords2
Twitter-@wholords2

Making customs and collecting Doctor who figures for over a decade

Bundesrat

Post by Bundesrat »

Thank you for answering mine and all those other questions - when you've spent so much time and money investing in a collection it is really good to get these extra insights.

If I could ask one more question, and it is one to tease us all with, without asking you to name any or give any other hints, how many figures got developed as far as the Yeti or the second doctor with fur coat without ever being released AND )as far as you know) without their details ever leaking?

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks »

Thank you so much for all the answers and insight Al! I appreciated the answer I got and then watched questions pile up, worried you'd look at the sheer number with a Pertwee-esque "Oh NO". Instead, answers! :) The chance for all this dialogue is really special, thanks again.

So, in the "non-spoiler" spirit: There certainly are some stories which are more "natural" for toys/figures. (ie, Dalek episodes, and as we've seen also "The Three Doctors", "Pyramids of Mars"...) But what's a story YOU would've loved to focus on, even though it really would be difficult development/less marketable/etc?

Kaldor

Post by Kaldor »

Wow! Thanks for all those answers Al. Long may pickibg your brains continue! :P