Doctor Who Figure Wave Ideas

EndlessTimelord

Doctor Who Figure Wave Ideas

Post by EndlessTimelord »

Can anyone remember what date we learnt about the figure wave last year? Do you think we will see a new Wave this year? If so what would you like to generally see. There are some great designs from Series 12 (and as of writing this, Series 13! ;) )

I really hope to get and I'm basing this off of the formula from last wave:

13th Doctor (new paint to match her Dark Blue Jumper in Series 12)

The Master (Using the 7B Doctor as a base with retooled lower legs and arms with new PVC chest piece and jacket and new head. Similar to Jodie's figure)

Cyberman (the 100% new figure of the Wave)

Cybermaster (an easy variant to make and uses the new body to its full potential)

Captain Jack (Repaint from Fugitive)

POTENTIAL OTHER FIGURES THAT WE CAN SEE:

Revolution Bronze Dalek with new claw arm

The Recon looking Dalek with new Body and Skirt

Deborah J

Re: Doctor Who Figure Wave Ideas

Post by Deborah J »

these would be really nice, but if I was planning a s12 wave I'd try to squeeze a Ruth Doctor in there somewhere too.

Kaldor

Post by Kaldor »

Well, I imagine the Sontarans could be a potential new figure if the budget is there?

The Outcast

Post by The Outcast »

I think I agree with the above proposed Wave idea. The Fugitive Doctor would be cool, but I have a feeling they'll turn up in Series 13, so maybe I'd save their figure for then. If anything, I'd try to squeeze in an online exclusive of Ashad and his Cyber-guards, with perhaps the addition of a single carded release to the above figure wave. As Ashad's leg change between stories, the figure set's version could have the Ascension/TTC legs and the single release could have the Diodati legs.

Uncle_Abe

Post by Uncle_Abe »

Our resident Lurker said "We will see less next year ... but not too much less".
I took that to mean the B&M sets would be the same (no reason B&M would ask for less Doctor Who stuff, that we know of), but there wouldn't be a wave on general release in places like Amazon and Forbidden Planet. Although, it seems highly likely we'll see that Dalek variant and with it being a tie-in to the latest episode I doubt it'll be a B&M exclusive. Obviously we haven't seen the Christmas episode yet (so we don't know who else is in it) but I can't see Forbidden Planet getting excited over selling a 13th Doctor in orange prison outfit variant. It does seem more likely we'll see a Captain Jack re-release, though.

I guess the question for all-new moulds is: what can they make most use out of. I suspect the decision to make a Resolution recon Dalek mould was because a) Daleks always sell and b) it will be used again for a second figure to maximise profits. So which figures satisfy those criteria the best? Ruth Doc will certainly sell well but its the sort of thing people will only buy 1 of even if we see her again with a different colour costume variant.
New Cybermen will sell well and could probably be cobbled together out of mostly old parts with some retooling, and there's a couple of variants that could all use the same parts.
The Master is a strong possibility. You could re-use the head on several existing body options so that would be a good choice.

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks »

Uncle_Abe wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:00 pm
Our resident Lurker said "We will see less next year ... but not too much less".
I took that to mean the B&M sets would be the same (no reason B&M would ask for less Doctor Who stuff, that we know of), but there wouldn't be a wave on general release in places like Amazon and Forbidden Planet. Although, it seems highly likely we'll see that Dalek variant and with it being a tie-in to the latest episode I doubt it'll be a B&M exclusive. Obviously we haven't seen the Christmas episode yet (so we don't know who else is in it) but I can't see Forbidden Planet getting excited over selling a 13th Doctor in orange prison outfit variant. It does seem more likely we'll see a Captain Jack re-release, though.

I guess the question for all-new moulds is: what can they make most use out of. I suspect the decision to make a Resolution recon Dalek mould was because a) Daleks always sell and b) it will be used again for a second figure to maximise profits. So which figures satisfy those criteria the best? Ruth Doc will certainly sell well but its the sort of thing people will only buy 1 of even if we see her again with a different colour costume variant.
New Cybermen will sell well and could probably be cobbled together out of mostly old parts with some retooling, and there's a couple of variants that could all use the same parts.
The Master is a strong possibility. You could re-use the head on several existing body options so that would be a good choice.
I kinda also supposed Al's "You'll see less" definitely included a Contemporary New Series wave as well. In addition to everything you mention, there's also the facts of:

*Everything in the Series 11/12 wave we knew about WAY before the figure release. More than a year, in fact. (That Judoon reveal came very early in filming). Series 13 is just starting production AND was reworked to less episodes. So, no way anything is gonna be ready to communicate to a release next year. Even the Dalek JUST got an official reveal, Character probably would've had to have seen it back around filming to get it ready for concurrent release with the special. (I admit that's not impossible, but it still requires a new base and arms...) And that's not accounting for.....

*We just simply have NOT seen 100% new figures yet outside of the Recon Dalek. And things like the Fugitive Doctor and S12 Cybermen necessitate all new figures. We never got a NIS Cyberman, so even Ashad is out. In fact, it been YEARS since we've got a new 5" Cyberman and that's a figure with reuse/resale possibility - and we STILL didn't get it. Even a new 13 (tux/Prison outfit/etc) requires a new figure as she's got that unique neck mount, so other body reuse is out.

*Bluntly: It's GOT to be more cost effective to do the B&M and online sales than try to stoke conventional stock orders the S11/12 wave had. Especially in this new Pandemic stricken world. And from where I'm sitting, looks like the Classic Series & Daleks are making the units shift. (Either that, or Character is trying to kill the line in a way that pleases this forum at least. But I doubt it's that. ;) )

*I do agree that a Jack reissue and even a Dhawan Master is do-able with the current production model. But that's 2 figures. Even the newly revealed Dalek requires a new skirt and arms. Slip those 2 into 3 packs; Even with rudimentary knowledge of how this works single packing them is more money and resources that instead could be done as Bill, 13's crew, and these recent Classic waves were and would benefit Character (and us) with something that very clearly works. It has too, we've gone from strict repaints to the entire 70s companion lineup (yes, sans Liz) being released - We wouldn't be there if this was a failing strategy.

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe the New Series is due some love next year (Al asking what we'd want to see reissued from it is promising in that regard.) But honestly, I feel like realistically we could get something like: (and yes, DISCLAIMER- These are speculative examples)

The 10th Doctor Era: Captain Jack Reissue, Rose ("Stolen Earth" using "Peladon" Sarah body & S2 head), "The Next Doctor" Cyberleader

The Master: Ainley Master (Preferably Traken), Jacobi Master with proper paint apps, Dhawan Master (New Head + 7b 11 body OR 10 Tux.

Frankly, I'd bet on those more than I would a S12 wave 2. Definitely think an S13 wave is off the table for 2021.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

Not to play Topic Cop*, but should we combine this thread with "General Set Proposals?" Seems like they could benefit from being under one roof.

*Topic Cops was my sixth-favorite sci-fi series of the 80s.

SJF

Post by SJF »

I feel like in lieu of Series 12/13 wave next year we’ll end up with a three pack consisting of a Captain variant, a Dhawan Master kitbash and probably some sort of Yaz variant. And then also a Doctor/Dalek two pack with *that Dalek* and a some kind of Thirteen variant.

DrDoak

Post by DrDoak »

Would definitely like to see a new wave for Doctor Who the B&M sets are great but a gap still needs filling I personally believe that the wave should compromise of all the New Who 2005 to now and leave the Classic stuff to the B&M sets. Even if it's re-releases it'll be cost effective using what their already is and throw in some new things such as the new Cybermen there's been 4 new varients that's hasn't been realesed as the 5inch and I know people would army build on them. New Daleks people love customising them. Below is a list of new figures that I'd love to see and I'd love to hear opinions.

Ice Warrior
The Great Intelligence
Cybermen (Nightmare In Silver)
Vastra
Jenny
Strax
The Teller
Skovox Blitzer
The Zygons
The Veil
The Monks
Iraxxa (Ice Queen)
Mondasian Cybermen
Nardole
The Kerblam Man
T’zim-Sha
Sacha Dhawans Master
The Fugitive Doctor
Ashad (The Lone Cyberman)
Cyber-Masters
Cyber-Warriors
Dregs
The New Black Daleks

Thanks for reading

Ash 😊😊😊😊😊😊

DalekCheese

Post by DalekCheese »

DrDoak wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:55 pm
Would definitely like to see a new wave for Doctor Who the B&M sets are great but a gap still needs filling I personally believe that the wave should compromise of all the New Who 2005 to now and leave the Classic stuff to the B&M sets. Even if it's re-releases it'll be cost effective using what their already is and throw in some new things such as the new Cybermen there's been 4 new varients that's hasn't been realesed as the 5inch and I know people would army build on them. New Daleks people love customising them. Below is a list of new figures that I'd love to see and I'd love to hear opinions.

Ice Warrior
The Great Intelligence
Cybermen (Nightmare In Silver)
Vastra
Jenny
Strax
The Teller
Skovox Blitzer
The Zygons
The Veil
The Monks
Iraxxa (Ice Queen)
Mondasian Cybermen
Nardole
The Kerblam Man
T’zim-Sha
Sacha Dhawans Master
The Fugitive Doctor
Ashad (The Lone Cyberman)
Cyber-Masters
Cyber-Warriors
Dregs
The New Black Daleks

Thanks for reading

Ash 😊😊😊😊😊😊
While I’d love to see almost all of these they’d all be impossible apart from the New Daleks (although the merits of that particular design are, IMO, somewhat dubious), Mondasian Cybermen (as the mould’s already there), and Strax (ditto, iirc).