Why did we not get......

Bundesrat

Why did we not get......

Post by Bundesrat »

Wasn’t sure what the best thread was to ask this, so any Mods that want to move this somewhere else feel free....

Given in the great glory days of new series figure releases we got pretty much anyone that had a speaking part there are a few quite significant characters we never got figures of - e.g. Mrs Saxon, Rose’s Mum, short-lived companion Adam, Jenny.

I’d use the ‘ask Al’ thread to ask why, but suspect if it is image rights etc he’d not be able to answer, so was wondering if the rumour mill had anything on these?

RoseyT

Re: Why did we not get......

Post by RoseyT »

In all honestly most of them wouldn't sell that well. I think there was actually evidence that when female figures are presented to the Under 13 male market they dont tend to do very well at all. (Like Lazlo bad). I personally dont think that would've been the case with Doctor Who but yeah that's why we never really got any 1 ep Female companions (bar River Song) but I think that's because the tooling needed for her wasn't that much due to to the library spacesuit being shared with the Vashta Nerada figure.

Bundesrat

Post by Bundesrat »

RoseyT wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:43 am
In all honestly most of them wouldn't sell that well. I think there was actually evidence that when female figures are presented to the Under 13 male market they dont tend to do very well at all. (Like Lazlo bad). I personally dont think that would've been the case with Doctor Who but yeah that's why we never really got any 1 ep Female companions (bar River Song) but I think that's because the tooling needed for her wasn't that much due to to the library spacesuit being shared with the Vashta Nerada figure.
Yea, I did notice as I was typing I was coming up with a lot of females characters. Given some of the characters they did release, Adam is maybe the most surprising omission since they could have done a with and without head implant.

CharlieTheWhovian

Post by CharlieTheWhovian »

Bundesrat wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:08 am
RoseyT wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:43 am
Yea, I did notice as I was typing I was coming up with a lot of females characters. Given some of the characters they did release, Adam is maybe the most surprising omission since they could have done a with and without head implant.
Well I can't say I ever cared for the character but I highly doubt we'll get an Adam figure now given Bruno Langley's activities in recent years... :?

Pants of Pigbin Josh

Post by Pants of Pigbin Josh »

It always surprised me that we didn't get the Adherents from 'End of the World', the other 2 witches from 'Shakespeare Code', Lazarus (There was a prototype made) amongst others.

Then when the specials hit and then Woolworths went belly up, we lost out on stuff like the Flood (Waters of Mars, again shown as a prototype), Tritovores, Cybershades and other potential figures from Tennant's last run.

BoundryHopper

Post by BoundryHopper »

I think it was caused by multiple issues.:
  • Rights access (BBC, actor, estates).
  • Cost (especially when compared to predicted sales).
  • Sexism (yes, even in the 21st Century there are people who are prejudiced against female figures for boys... from parents to decision makers).
  • Predicted importance (CO used to get no advance warning of how important a character was to the episode, so no idea if important and wanted).
  • Demand (CO can only make what the shops are willing to pay for/sell, the merchandisers often have no idea about the show or it's fan base).
  • The fickle desires of children
This is why we got the odd peg warmer of inconsequential figures, not enough of the key female characters, and sometimes missed out on a major character!

We could have had Adam, and Jackie (who could be classed as companions to many people). More of Rose (Billie has body image issues so refused the rights to more figures) or Donna (rumour is she also has issues with appearance).

We should have got the newest Cyberman, Zygon and Ice Warrior/queen figures but CO decided to try to convince everyone to jump to the 3.x" figures and it (naturally) flopped big time (They failed to see that people like myself who are big time collectors of the 5" range we're not going to suddenly buy them all again as, for example, I've got over 1,100 5" figures since they started!). I think a three pack of the aforementioned figures would sell well as a B&M or CO exclusive.

The loss of Woolworth's was a major blow... There was a comeback when Forbidden Planet/Underground Toys started funding them but since they stopped it's slumped big time. Now we are having a mini revival thanks to B&M.
Last edited by BoundryHopper on Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
:evil: #SAYNOTOSCALPERS :twisted:

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks »

Pants of Pigbin Josh wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:45 pm
It always surprised me that we didn't get the Adherents from 'End of the World', the other 2 witches from 'Shakespeare Code', Lazarus (There was a prototype made) amongst others.

Then when the specials hit and then Woolworths went belly up, we lost out on stuff like the Flood (Waters of Mars, again shown as a prototype), Tritovores, Cybershades and other potential figures from Tennant's last run.
Another Perspective: Sure, some instances actors may have said "Thanks but no thanks". (Oddly enough, most of these I'm aware of rumour wise involve figures we got and variants we didn't - John Barrowman, Billie Piper, Catherine Tate.) Other occasions, sales prospect and market appeal may have been a factor. (I feel like both of these probably affected a Jackie Tyler for example. Mind, I'm guessing.)

But then, step back and compare Who to other figure lines and it only then becomes evident how crazy this line is to try and make into a traditional toy range. Sure, the Daleks make sense. (It kind of explains their merch appeal longevity.) After that though, you're dealing with a range that gave us an elevator as a playset (Series 2) and a villain "vehicle" that is a rotocast tape drive or stone column. (The Master's TARDIS).

There are certainly occasions where figure choices (ahem, Lazlo) seem to overlook better options......but to who? On paper, Lazlo makes sense. You've got a Doctor, companion, Daleks (with one episode specific look), Sec in human form, a Pig Slave, and....a sympathetic ally character with a distinct look - Lazlo. The two prior series the Dalek episodes were a BIG deal, so this makes sense if you look at it from this point of view. They focused on the episodes that would probably get notice, be popular, and (naturally) the images they were given in advance. They couldn't have predicted this one would be less well received.

Al actually has been pretty forthcoming about several aspects of Character's process, turnaround, and development. And I have to say, when you factor in cost cutting measures or market conditions with those, a lot of what Character did with the New Series makes sense.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

I can honestly say I would rather buy a melted lump of plastic called an "Earthshock Adric" than I would an Adam figure.

I feel the same about a Jenny figure, for that matter, but I know I'm in the minority on that.

But seriously, Adam was a purposefully annoying character that lasted barely over one episode by design. I can't imagine him being particularly popular.

Ok, grouch time over, I promise.
Last edited by skifflebits on Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

BoundryHopper wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:48 pm
We should have got the newest Cyberman, Zygon and Ice Warrior/queen figures but CO decided to try to convince everyone to jump to the 3.x" figures and it (naturally) flopped big time (They failed to see that people like myself who are big time collectors of the 5" range we're not going to suddenly buy them all again as, for example, I've spent over £11,000 on 5" figures since they started!).
OK, I'm afraid I have to be a pain on this point. (I guess grouch time is back. Sorry.)

CO never tried to "convince" everyone to go over to the 3.75" figures. They didn't even want to do it, themselves. It was a period when the big retail chains started operating under the opinion that action figures were "dead" (fools!), especially larger format ones. The only figures the big chains were willing to shell out for were the classic smaller "Star Wars scale" figures, and without retail chains pre-ordering your product, there's no money to make the toys in the first place. Any possibility of more 5" figures was dead in the water. It was 3.75" or no shelf space, period.

So the DW 3.75 figure line was a huge Hail Mary on CO's part to keep any kind of Doctor Who toys on the shelves at all.

I mean, sure, they wanted everyone to buy them just as much as always, but it's not like someone in CO sat everyone down and said, "Hey, I got an idea! Now hear me out on this..."

Bundesrat

Post by Bundesrat »

skifflebits wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:19 pm
I can honestly say I would rather buy a melted lump of plastic called an "Earthshock Adric" than I would an Adam figure.
Don’t get me wrong, Adam not being issued is not something I loose any sleep over, it was more given the range of stuff that did get released there are some more obvious omissions.

This however is a must have for anyone!! -
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DOCTOR-WHO-F ... SwCH9fpWTF