Why did we not get......

TheOnComingStorm

Re: Why did we not get......

Post by TheOnComingStorm »

Why didn't we get a Margaret Slitheen with her Slitheen arm exposed with extrapilaror acsessory? That would be visually interesting.... let's hope Eaglemoss release one.

Lurker at the Edge

Post by Lurker at the Edge »

i do wish people would stop preaching about the be all and end of figures being 5.5 inch figure scale ... The 3.75 inch line offered a far more flexible format ...far easier to collect, afford and store plus the opportunity of many more vehicles and playsets ... However bad timing with the action figure market in freefall combined with the fact we shipped the same wave 3 times in the space of 18 month (somewhat of an error) led to 'issues in an already declining market with less shelf space and the rest is history.

Given the chance it fully deserved its feasible 3.75 would have become the default position for the Doctor Who toy line. its fine to bash the line but lets be honest its THE most successful action figure figure scale of figures ever created (Hasbro) and many other companies still use it as their stock scale.

Valeyard

Post by Valeyard »

Lurker at the Edge wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 10:04 am
i do wish people would stop preaching about the be all and end of figures being 5.5 inch figure scale ... The 3.75 inch line offered a far more flexible format ...far easier to collect, afford and store plus the opportunity of many more vehicles and playsets ... However bad timing with the action figure market in freefall combined with the fact we shipped the same wave 3 times in the space of 18 month (somewhat of an error) led to 'issues in an already declining market with less shelf space and the rest is history.

Given the chance it fully deserved its feasible 3.75 would have become the default position for the Doctor Who toy line. its fine to bash the line but lets be honest its THE most successful action figure figure scale of figures ever created (Hasbro) and many other companies still use it as their stock scale.
I think it's the fact that many had been collecting the line since it began back in 2005/2006. When you keep a toy line in that scale for so many years, any major change to it is going to be received with criticism. Personally, I agree that 3.75 is way easier to store, collect and afford, and offers many more opportunities, but pretty much ditching the 5 inch line for a while wasn't the best move. Maybe a Marvel Legends/Black Series approach would've been better, a wave of 3.75 and 5 inch figures each year, one for general audiences and one for more serious collectors.

Bundesrat

Post by Bundesrat »

Out of interest - and we moving into worlds of fantasy here - If you had been given a totally free hand, no budget constraints making one scale preferable to the other, and the figures and TARDIS sets were all to be new so there was no bearing on which had the biggest back catalogue, and B&M did not mind what scale you provided as long as you provided the stuff - so entirely down to your preference, would we have got 3.75 rather then 5.5?

The Outcast

Post by The Outcast »

Valeyard wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 10:30 am

I think it's the fact that many had been collecting the line since it began back in 2005/2006. When you keep a toy line in that scale for so many years, any major change to it is going to be received with criticism. Personally, I agree that 3.75 is way easier to store, collect and afford, and offers many more opportunities, but pretty much ditching the 5 inch line for a while wasn't the best move. Maybe a Marvel Legends/Black Series approach would've been better, a wave of 3.75 and 5 inch figures each year, one for general audiences and one for more serious collectors.
I think this is really the reason people seem to dislike the 3.75" figures. It's the sunk cost fallacy, I think, you've got this whole collection of lovely 5 inch figures, spend lots of money on them, so when the 3.75" stuff comes along, you don't switch with it because it's incompatible with what you already have. It's not that 3.75" doesn't have more potential, it's more than people were used to the 5" line, which they'd collected for about six years. That's certainly the case on my end.

Ultimately, I understand why the 3.75" range happened, and I don't hate the 3.75" stuff, but for myself, personally, it just happened too late in the day for me to switch.

BoundryHopper

Post by BoundryHopper »

For me and I'm sure many others the biggest problem was we had already invested heavily in the 5" line and were not prepared to pay out again for the same figures just in a new size! I have got over a thousand 5"/5.5" figures (plus TARDISes, Sontaran ships, etc. etc.), if you work that out as an average of £10 per figure then you can see why us mass collectors are not likely to change scale. Also they are for me toys, not collector's items, I open them all and play with them, I build dioramas and playsets, etc. for them, and I army build at least 8 of appropriate characters, so there are more costs. The difference in scale make the two ranges incompatible for play, especially for adults who rely less on imagination and more on reality.

As an adult the 3.75" range felt too small and fiddly to play with, whereas the 5" range is perfect, they fit the adult hand the way 3.75" ones fit a child's hand. (As a side note, I hate the New Paradigm Daleks in the series, but as a 5" toy the are brilliant, they feel perfect in the hand while playing!)

What added to the animosity is the fact that some figures were only released as 3.75" scale, Eg. the newer cyberman, the new zygons, The foretold, etc. and it felt like an intentional snub at those of us who had invested in the 5" scale with CO.

Let's be honest, the 5" scale figures are such superb quality they make anything else look a bit rubbish in comparison.

All this added up to making a lot of us feel angry towards CO.

If they had always been 3.75" scale then there would never have been a problem, or if they had changed scale in the first couple of years, but CO left it too late to go messing with the range.
i do wish people would stop preaching about the be all and end of figures being 5.5 inch figure scale ...
I think you need to remember that it us customers who decide what we want and like not the company who makes them. We love the 5" range not the 3.75" ones so that is all that matters ultimately. For us the 5"/5.5" scale ones ARE the be all and end all of the Doctor Who figure market!
:evil: #SAYNOTOSCALPERS :twisted:

ToyBoxOfRassilon

Post by ToyBoxOfRassilon »

Personally, my largest problem with that scale was only with a couple figures and the detail on them which was (if you don't mine me essentially insulting the products) appalling...
If I'm perfectly honest, I want to buy ALL of the monster variations as they are all awesome! Literally, every one is great. I think where the line falls a little compared to the 5" is the likenesses on the humanoid characters, the faces were so vague but it's inevitable with the scale I suppose...

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks »

So, yes, in terms of easier to accommodate accessories, playsets, deluxe scale figures, etc. - I totally get that and agree. And, in terms, of the figures actually being used for "play" I get that too. Total agreement.

I don't think I agree with regards to the Collector's Market though. Likeness, detail, and the novelty of the figure actually existing are more enjoyed at a larger scale, imo. The Star Wars Black Series is very aware of this, and that scale really discourages much playset or vehicle production - But then, I'm not sure the buyers are grabbing that line for any reasons beyond display and collecting.

And yeah, I have to add my voice to the "3.75!!?! But I already have all these 5.5 scale figures!??!" chorus as well. Add to the fact that for me, the Classics were more attractive as Collector's items anyway and the 3.75 scale only scratched that surface with Daleks.

So, yeah - In principle, I will say I agree with the overall 3.75 scale endorsement for more variety and possibilities. But in practice with the Who line, it kinda left me cold for the above reasons. And I really respect that Character walked back and worked with the larger scale again; That can't have been an easy, quick road to back up to but I'm certainly appreciative.

Bundesrat

Post by Bundesrat »

i do wish people would stop preaching about the be all and end of figures being 5.5 inch figure scale ...
I really do wish there had been many more Character Building and Time Squad figures, I had no problem purchasing them alongside the 5.5” range and they make for a good fun contrast on my shelves.

I couldn’t say the same for the 3.75 range though as (like many of us) I’d invested heavily in the 5.5” range felt the 3.75 was just the same again but smaller. Simply a different size did not offer the same level of variant as the CB and TS. The only 3.75 set I bought was the dematerialising TARDIS as it *was* something different. Also I expected the 5.5 would continue in parallel and we’d get everything 3.75 in 5.5 too.

TARDIS23

Post by TARDIS23 »

I agree with everything said here 3.75” does give a lot more options but I couldn’t help being disappointed by them as I got some great characters but couldn’t display them with what came before. Not to mention some of them especially the early ones like the first 11th Doctor didn’t look great when compared to the 5” version. I still bought a fair few though but when we got a 5” 12th Doctor that pretty much did it for me and I don’t think I bought anymore.
Also reminds me of a similar situation I used to collect McFarlanes 5” scale Walking Dead figures after making 9 series of these they decided to do the opposite thing and scale up the 7”. Nobody was happy about this having to buy the same characters again and getting new ones incompatible with old ones, McFarlane unlike character never fully switched back to the original scale though aside from the odd exclusive and not long after the line fully died. Which makes me thankful CO went back to what worked.
The other thing is if we had got 3.75” scale figures for Doctor Who originally I think it would have worked fine the change is the biggest issue. Also these days as it’s more a collected market line than what it used to be the big scale is in line with other offerings with Star Wars black series and Marvel Legends from Hasbro both being 6” scale mainly.