Why did we not get......

skifflebits

Re: Why did we not get......

Post by skifflebits »

Bundesrat wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 6:02 pm
skifflebits wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 4:46 pm
I always find it a little funny that this thread is called "Why did we not get..." as opposed to, say, "Why was it never released?"

It always feels just a little like a kid having a minor tantrum. :)
I can assure you, it is never a *minor* tantrum when I look at the gaps in my collection :D
The gaps will never close, son. No matter how many figures they make, you'll always want one more they didn't. :)

Lepter1

Post by Lepter1 »

:D
Lurker at the Edge wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 10:04 am
i do wish people would stop preaching about the be all and end of figures being 5.5 inch figure scale ... The 3.75 inch line offered a far more flexible format ...far easier to collect, afford and store plus the opportunity of many more vehicles and playsets ... However bad timing with the action figure market in freefall combined with the fact we shipped the same wave 3 times in the space of 18 month (somewhat of an error) led to 'issues in an already declining market with less shelf space and the rest is history.

Given the chance it fully deserved its feasible 3.75 would have become the default position for the Doctor Who toy line. its fine to bash the line but lets be honest its THE most successful action figure figure scale of figures ever created (Hasbro) and many other companies still use it as their stock scale.
Hhhmmm....its like being served sirloin steak all your life and then being told that steak in no longer available but you can have this pound shop steak instead. The quality of tbe 3.75 figures were just not good after the fantastic detail we got on the 5"...... there is just no comparison.

Jamie1D

Post by Jamie1D »

I mean the 3.75 10th Doctor and Amy are better than the 5 inch versions...

Bundesrat

Post by Bundesrat »

Jamie1D wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 2:27 pm
I mean the 3.75 10th Doctor and Amy are better than the 5 inch versions...
Was this meant for the ‘Start a Blatantly False Toy Rumour’ thread? ;)

DukeNukem 2417

Post by DukeNukem 2417 »

Lurker at the Edge wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 10:04 am
Given the chance it fully deserved its feasible 3.75 would have become the default position for the Doctor Who toy line. its fine to bash the line but lets be honest its THE most successful action figure figure scale of figures ever created (Hasbro) and many other companies still use it as their stock scale.
Ah, yeah, sorry, NO.

Mattel tried a 3.75" DC Multiverse line, and it tanked; the likenesses on the '78 Superman and '89 Batman were awful, for one. Hasbro tried to rebrand their 3.75" Marvel Universe line as Marvel Legends, and it failed miserably. As for "THE most successful action figure line ever created", google "G.I. Joe Classified" for news on how that one jumped up to the 6-inch scale and hasn't looked back. Star Wars went to 6 inches with the Black Series and has had massive success. Power Rangers has jumped up to the 6-inch scale with the Lightning collection, and even the basic figures are still in the 5-inches+ category. McFarlane Toys has gone all the way up to 7 with their own DC Multiverse line. Even He-Man, back in the 80s, started out in a six-inch scale (more or less).

Not to knock our favorite Lurker, but 3.75" is barely ever used as a "stock scale" anymore. Only low-budget types like Lanard and Spinmaster Toys use it, and even Lanard is making Marvel Legends-scale Alien and Predator figures these days. Higher-end stuff like S.H. Figuarts and Figma are in the 5-to-6-inch scale. NECA is making a killing with 7"+ figures. A new firm called Loyal Subjects is even doing the BST AXN (Best Action) figure line in the five-inch scale. Diamond Select Toys is doing figures in a 6-inch+ scale, JazWares is doing 6.5" figures....I could keep going, but I think you all get the point.

3.75" is only "the most successful" in terms of cost-cutting and sparing on detail.

Action figure companies need to leave that scale behind in the 70s if they want to survive these days.

Again, not trying to knock the Lurker, but I really don't see how 3.75" is "successful" in today's market.
Through the darkness of future past
the magician longs to see.
One chants out between two worlds
Fire....walk with me.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

Again, not trying to knock the Lurker, but I really don't see how 3.75" is "successful" in today's market.
Well... He said "ever," not "today's market," and if you look in terms of total unit sales, it's pretty hard to dispute that.

Incidentally, Hasbro is releasing a whole bunch of "retro" 3.75" Mandalorian toys, and they're kind of awesome. :)

DukeNukem 2417

Post by DukeNukem 2417 »

skifflebits wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 4:05 pm
Well... He said "ever," not "today's market," and if you look in terms of total unit sales, it's pretty hard to dispute that.

Incidentally, Hasbro is releasing a whole bunch of "retro" 3.75" Mandalorian toys, and they're kind of awesome. :)
Right, yes, 3.75" are still moving tonnage. Not disputing that. And yes, 3.75" started with the original Star Wars figures, but there was a little problem called the OIL CRISIS at the time. Also, G.I. Joe had started as 12", as did Action Man (if they didn't start at that scale, they moved up to it).

Trying to act like 3.75" is "the" scale is daft. Some people may prefer it, but I'll stick with Marvel Legends and everything in or above that scale.
Through the darkness of future past
the magician longs to see.
One chants out between two worlds
Fire....walk with me.

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

If the doctor who figures had changed to 6 inches or 7 or 8 my reaction would have been the same as it was when they shifted to 3.75. The same reaction I'd have had if they'd started in 3.75 or in 6 and changed to 5.5, I'd have been put off by the fact that I already had about 80-100 figures by then from 7 years of collecting, and the idea of changing to collecting a different scale and essentially having to start over was the factor that put me off. Honestly I don't see one being hugely better than another, as size goes up detail goes up, but they take up so much more space. An odd thing perhaps, but I used to really like the action man villains, I didn't have any interest in action mans manly action stuff, but I loved the sculpts and details on all the bad guys, and I got a load of them when I was young and played out this really elaborate soap opera with them running a business and looking for their dad, but they always looked incredible, in a big scale so the details were fantastic, little things like puckered skin around areas where metal was bolted to flesh, just really neat, I had like 9 of these guys I think, and the box that I keep them in is twice the size of the one I keep my doctor who figures in, though admittedly I have more figures now than will fit in the box, but what I'm trying to say is that bigger figures have more scope for detail, but they eat up far more space. My only problem with the little figures is my dislike of change, I think I'm in a minority, but I do quite like them in and of themselves, even if I didn't personally collect them

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks »

So, a really important point to keep in mind is that 3.75 scale DOES wildly benefit a line that would require vehicles and playsets. Anyone who's seen how ridiculously huge the Star Wars Black Series vehicle line is can understand this, the TIE Fighter is comically huge and even a smaller element like a Dewback is large enough to scare my cat. (If not replace him; It's that big.)

And maybe that's why I think Who is perfectly suited to 5.5....Outside of a console room, playsets would be really static or very select. This isn't DC, where you could conceivably make multiple headquarters or lairs or specialized vehicles with action features. Oh, right - So, this line is already comical when it comes to vehicles. Some of the best I own look like a static tape drive, a static column, and a battle pod with a door. The TARDIS is about as exciting as it gets, and without sound that pretty much also is a static object, with opening doors. Most stories we're lucky if it moves once after arrival.

Admittedly, multiple console rooms would've been great. And that Davies era one with lights is a set to aspire to. But that's really it. Once you get away from the console room, you're lucky if a location ever turns up again. What're you gonna do? Rose's bedroom? Yaz' living room? Are you TRYING to make Lazlo look like a hot seller by comparison?

Also, let's remember that at the line's height of power in 2006/07, we were given a playset....an elevator. ("The Satan Pit") And honestly, looking at Series 2 that made SENSE. This is just not....the most toy-etic line compared to, say, "Star Wars" or "Star Trek".

Didn't forget you were here, Classic Series fans. Oddly enough, there are better Toy Opportunities/Deluxe Figure opportunities here but that ship has, for now, seemingly sailed. Granted, we're talking about things like the Whomobile (legit probably the BEST toy vehicle option the show has ever had) and Bessie. And though things like War Machines would be more like deluxe figures, they're still more an exception....

Who was always more character drama based. Which means the individual characters are the big draw, the essential thing and key elements in any given story. Unlike a film with a multi ship raid on a starbase, Who would have the Doctor, facing off against Davros and some Daleks. A companion, held captive by Cybermen. UNIT, facing Sontarans.

And those key elements look great in 5.5 scale.

(Btw, why DID we never get Bessie???? It was even prototyped!)

Bundesrat

Post by Bundesrat »

Of course whichever is the better between the 3.75” and 5.5” range is still inferior to the mighty 12” range - they had actual clothes with no weird breaks going on at the joints. Also you only needed one of each character - if you wanted a variant/custom you just redressed them.

Then again, maybe the earlier Denys Fisher range was a better size.............

:D