Why did we not get......

omega1963

Re: Why did we not get......

Post by omega1963 »

Personally as far as daleks are concerned, I’m a big fan of the 1:1 scale.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

DukeNukem 2417 wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 8:10 pm
skifflebits wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 4:05 pm
Well... He said "ever," not "today's market," and if you look in terms of total unit sales, it's pretty hard to dispute that.

Incidentally, Hasbro is releasing a whole bunch of "retro" 3.75" Mandalorian toys, and they're kind of awesome. :)
Right, yes, 3.75" are still moving tonnage. Not disputing that. And yes, 3.75" started with the original Star Wars figures, but there was a little problem called the OIL CRISIS at the time. Also, G.I. Joe had started as 12", as did Action Man (if they didn't start at that scale, they moved up to it).

Trying to act like 3.75" is "the" scale is daft. Some people may prefer it, but I'll stick with Marvel Legends and everything in or above that scale.
All he said is it was the biggest selling scale of all time, which in terms of numbers it is, so I'm not sure why you're so upset.

DukeNukem 2417

Post by DukeNukem 2417 »

Deborah J wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 9:32 pm
If the doctor who figures had changed to 6 inches or 7 or 8 my reaction would have been the same as it was when they shifted to 3.75. The same reaction I'd have had if they'd started in 3.75 or in 6 and changed to 5.5, I'd have been put off by the fact that I already had about 80-100 figures by then from 7 years of collecting, and the idea of changing to collecting a different scale and essentially having to start over was the factor that put me off. Honestly I don't see one being hugely better than another, as size goes up detail goes up, but they take up so much more space. An odd thing perhaps, but I used to really like the action man villains, I didn't have any interest in action mans manly action stuff, but I loved the sculpts and details on all the bad guys, and I got a load of them when I was young and played out this really elaborate soap opera with them running a business and looking for their dad, but they always looked incredible, in a big scale so the details were fantastic, little things like puckered skin around areas where metal was bolted to flesh, just really neat, I had like 9 of these guys I think, and the box that I keep them in is twice the size of the one I keep my doctor who figures in, though admittedly I have more figures now than will fit in the box, but what I'm trying to say is that bigger figures have more scope for detail, but they eat up far more space. My only problem with the little figures is my dislike of change, I think I'm in a minority, but I do quite like them in and of themselves, even if I didn't personally collect them
skifflebits wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 1:22 pm
All he said is it was the biggest selling scale of all time, which in terms of numbers it is, so I'm not sure why you're so upset.
...I suppose my preference for the Marvel Legends/6-inch scale is exactly that: my preference. Never intended to trash-talk anyone who actually enjoys the 3.75" scale.
Through the darkness of future past
the magician longs to see.
One chants out between two worlds
Fire....walk with me.

BoundryHopper

Post by BoundryHopper »

Bundesrat wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:55 am
Wasn’t sure what the best thread was to ask this, so any Mods that want to move this somewhere else feel free....

Given in the great glory days of new series figure releases we got pretty much anyone that had a speaking part there are a few quite significant characters we never got figures of - e.g. Mrs Saxon, Rose’s Mum, short-lived companion Adam, Jenny.

I’d use the ‘ask Al’ thread to ask why, but suspect if it is image rights etc he’d not be able to answer, so was wondering if the rumour mill had anything on these?
I suspect a big factor was the rights issue as you said... They need to get permission from or more of:
  • The BBC
  • The actor/actress
  • The writer
  • The creator of the character (if old character)
Also, CO weren't told ahead of time who would be important in an episode/series.

Finally, lack of demand/interest by the shops, which back then was mainly Woolworths! Bu there were some other places interested.

Over time the demand waned, and Woolies went under. Then we lost Underground Toys/Forbidden Planet (.co.uk). Lastly the scale chane angered a lot of people.

Of course now we seem to have B&M on side we may get some old characters pop up from time to time. That is as long as people go out and buy the sets to show them we are keen and willing to support the line. We saw Rose's, Martha's, and Donna's Mums so maybe we will get a Companion's Mums 3 pack!
:evil: #SAYNOTOSCALPERS :twisted:

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

If we got Sylvia before we got Wild I would be so annoyed about that.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

DukeNukem 2417 wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 8:07 pm

...I suppose my preference for the Marvel Legends/6-inch scale is exactly that: my preference. Never intended to trash-talk anyone who actually enjoys the 3.75" scale.
Ah! Well that's totally fair, obviously. Sorry, didn't mean to come off as pissy.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

Deborah J wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 9:40 am
If we got Sylvia before we got Wild I would be so annoyed about that.
Then we better get wild now, while we're still young!

Koth2

Post by Koth2 »

I believe Camille Coudrie didnt give her authorisation.

Bundesrat

Post by Bundesrat »

Hopefully answers to questions like - why did we not get a 6 sided console, and why did we not get a one armed Davros maybe covered in this months DWM

https://merchandise.thedoctorwhosite.co ... ent-627076

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks »

Bundesrat wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 4:00 pm
Hopefully answers to questions like - why did we not get a 6 sided console, and why did we not get a one armed Davros maybe covered in this months DWM

https://merchandise.thedoctorwhosite.co ... ent-627076
I think the answer to the former is that JNT/production did not provide comprehensive reference photos (None from above, just a side view). The latter was just bad quality control, apparently.