Why did we not get......

Mastersclanger

Re: Why did we not get......

Post by Mastersclanger »

I always wondered why they did not release a Tree of Cheem figure, maybe the were "barking" up the wrong "tree" at the time. :D

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks »

skifflebits wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:19 pm
I can honestly say I would rather buy a melted lump of plastic called an "Earthshock Adric" than I would an Adam figure.

I feel the same about a Jenny figure, for that matter, but I know I'm in the minority on that.

But seriously, Adam was a purposefully annoying character that lasted barely over one episode by design. I can't imagine him being particularly popular.

Ok, grouch time over, I promise.
I mean, the Jenny figure omission totally makes sense if you consider

1. Character probably didn't even get a synopsis/episode title. (Remember, the back half titles of Series 4 - and most Series - were released later. Synopsis came even later. I think "Last of the Time Lords", for example, wasn't even announced as a title until after "The Sound of Drums" aired.) A figure would've been designed literal months ahead of time.
2. It would have been a massive spoiler/signal as to WHO the "titular" character was (Um, not the Hath. So that would'veleft one option).
3. Speaking of the Hath, that's probably all they had to go on.

Flash forward, and she isn't even coming back the following episodes/series/ever. At this point if she DID she'd probably be recast.

Considering they DID produce River, who bordered on a Series regular at one point and troubled the next 2 Doctors, they pretty much pegged who to make and who to pass on even retroactively.

Good call, Character.

Spannerintheworks

Mastersclanger wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:12 pm
I always wondered why they did not release a Tree of Cheem figure, maybe the were "barking" up the wrong "tree" at the time. :D
I mean, we did eventually get Jabe. And that would've been the figure to make.

Consider, for that episode we got

Cassandra
Jabe
The Moxx of Balhoun
The Face of Boe
BONUS - Spider Droids (With Rose figure)

That's decent representation, honestly. Especially for what in the grand scheme of Series 1 was a less consequential episode beyond Rose/9 character points.

The 2 most important characters for later? They made them . (Cassandra/Boe)

Again, good call Character.

Bundesrat

Post by Bundesrat »

There are quite a few I own that I can’t think under what circumstances they’ll come out of a shoebox and be given shelf space - e.g.

-Toby
-Chip
-Brannigan
-Grandma Connelly
-Laszlo
-Doctor Constantine
-Scarecrow

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

I don't know, I've had my scarecrows and my lazlo on the shelf in the past year, and I've had constantine on display a couple of times, and toby was up for a little while a few years back. If I had more shelf space a lot more stuff would be up a lot more of the time.

CharlieTheWhovian

Post by CharlieTheWhovian »

Bundesrat wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:55 am
There are quite a few I own that I can’t think under what circumstances they’ll come out of a shoebox and be given shelf space - e.g.

-Toby
-Chip
-Brannigan
-Grandma Connelly
-Laszlo
-Doctor Constantine
-Scarecrow
I love having a Grandma Connolly figure because I tell people it's Doris from Gavin and Stacey :lol:

TheOnComingStorm

Post by TheOnComingStorm »

Do we honestly think "female figures don't sell?" The recent companions of the 4th Dr set has sold well and that features three female figures. Also, do we think girls buy/play/collect the range?

Rewind back to 2009 and Jabe sold very well! You couldn't find Sarah Jane and K9 when that was first released, I think, I only saw her once in the shop and that's the one I bought. Cassandra sold well, as far as I remember.
CO chose to release a female Gelth Zombie as aposed to the male equivalent.

I was a 14 year old boy and I didn't hestite to buy female figures, in fact, it's figures like Jabe, Rose, Cassandra, Martha, I liked the most!

I think characters like Jackie Tyler, Jenny etc would be very welcome additions and I hope to see them in future b&m sets.

There are literally lists of figures I wished CO had made back in 2006. The biggest wishes being, Jackie, Jenny, Gwenyth, Anne Droid, Baines...there are still huge gaps to fill. The figurine collection is covering each era respectively.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

Bundesrat wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:40 pm
This however is a must have for anyone!! -
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DOCTOR-WHO-F ... SwCH9fpWTF
Finally! The Porcine Pack we've been begging for!

EDIT: I just had a miserably daft idea of buying up all the Pig Slaves I can find and doing a series of head-swapped ""Pig Doctor" custom figures. Somebody please talk some sense into me.
Last edited by skifflebits on Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

TheOnComingStorm wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:21 am
Do we honestly think "female figures don't sell?" The recent companions of the 4th Dr set has sold well and that features three female figures. Also, do we think girls buy/play/collect the range?
I don't think we the collectors think female figures don't sell, but many of the toy retailers do. And they arguably make it a self-fulfilling prophecy by separating the boys' toys from the girls' toys. Also probably why the first 13th Doctor figure released was in a Barbie-firiendly scale. Your average toy retail buyer can't wrap their head around anything else.

I think, however, that the collectors' market is largely different than the general kids' toys market. We will buy characters based on their role in the show we love, not on their gender.

And I do believe toys made for the collectors market are produced under a different business model, so they're happy to sell thousands of figures as opposed to hundreds of thousands.

'Course I'm happy to be corrected on all of this if I'm wrong.

Spannerintheworks

Re: Female characters don't sell.

I mean, it's an industry stigma. If you need any proof, just research how long it took Marvel to finally make a Black Widow figure. I would, with some hesitation, say it's gotten better. But it definitely still exists.

I personally think another issue is character role within their universe. Using Series 1 as an example, you could not easily imagine the 9th Doctor going somewhere without Rose Tyler. She's essential to the show and has a function in most plots.

However, you very easily could have an adventure without Jackie Tyler. Most of them in Series 1 & 2 did not require her present. And arguably, even when present her role was not necessarily integral to the plot. (Honestly, in Series 1 barring "Father's Day" you could've had Mickey do most of the "Who is this guy/What is your life now/What about us" questions and half the time he did or even shared that function alongside Jackie.) I'm not bashing the character. I'm just saying even in most episodes, she ultimately served to make Rose more three dimensional. Most people have a mom or family, and Rose did too.

This isn't a Davies/Jackie Tyler/gender bias either. You can apply it to other eras, including ones I'm fond of.

Later on, we have Nardole. Nardole is a regular feature after Series 9 until 12's departure. However, you can still have 12 and Bill (or even 12 solo) adventure without him. Is he a notable omission? Yeah, a bit. But does he really serve a critical, crucial role? Not necessarily. It'd be easy to rewrite many moments with he and 12 as 12 monologues (some would prefer it). And his banter with Bill easily could've been handed to a secondary character. Bill, 12, and Missy have the critical plot functions and arcs in Series 10. So love Nardole as I do, I get why Bill (and Missy) get the figure love, and Nardole can be afforded a pass.

I think it's interesting that Rory (who initially looked to occupy a Mickey or Danny Pink type slot/role) didn't get a figure, but then he DID - once he was a show fixture and arguably crucial to the Amy story. (Mind, I recall a lot of shouting at Character for one too.) Mickey got one too.....his second year. (Danny didn't get either.)

So, with Doctor Who, I dont think it's as much a gender bias towards figures as a question of what role they play in the show/the Doctor's life. I mean, more recently I'd argue 50% of Yaz' character has been an attempt at giving her a Davies/SJA style family. But I really wouldn't have seen them getting figures even at the 2007-9 height of production.