B&M doctor who sets.

TheOnComingStorm

Re: B&M doctor who sets.

Post by TheOnComingStorm »

The codes are usually shorter than this?

Uncle_Abe

Post by Uncle_Abe »

Those are the generic barcodes from the boxes, not the B&M specific product codes (which are usually 6-digit codes).

You can't type a barcode number into the B&M app, but you can generate a barcode image from the number, and then scan that in the B&M app. The app recognises the barcodes (so the sets are definitely on their system now), it tells you the availability (it just says "can't check stock for this product at the moment") and it gives you the B&M product codes. The codes seem to be sequential so you could probably guess the approximate code for the missing Dalek set based on these numbers, although the app just says "Dr Who + Dalek" for the Invasion of Earth set, so both Dalek sets might be on the same product code.

I made this image that you can scan in the B&M app and see for yourselves:

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

Uncle_Abe wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:12 pm
Those are the generic barcodes from the boxes, not the B&M specific product codes (which are usually 6-digit codes).

You can't type a barcode number into the B&M app, but you can generate a barcode image from the number, and then scan that in the B&M app. The app recognises the barcodes (so the sets are definitely on their system now), it tells you the availability (it just says "can't check stock for this product at the moment") and it gives you the B&M product codes. The codes seem to be sequential so you could probably guess the approximate code for the missing Dalek set based on these numbers, although the app just says "Dr Who + Dalek" for the Invasion of Earth set, so both Dalek sets might be on the same product code.

I made this image that you can scan in the B&M app and see for yourselves:

wait, hold up, you can make the barcode out of the number? What sorcery is this? I never realised the numbers at the bottom connected to anything to do with the barcode...

Uncle_Abe

Post by Uncle_Abe »

Deborah J wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:03 am

wait, hold up, you can make the barcode out of the number? What sorcery is this? I never realised the numbers at the bottom connected to anything to do with the barcode...
A barcode is just a series of numbers represented as black lines (or, more accurately, the spaces between the lines) so that a scanner can easily read them. When you go to the supermarket and something doesn't scan, the assistant punches in a code by hand. They're just entering the barcode number written underneath because it's the same thing.

If we look at the product codes for the sets I posted before, they are almost sequential, ending 2, 4, 5, 6, 8. We know there's a Dalek set missing so that accounts for one of the numbers missing in the sequence, but there's still another number missing. Maybe there's another set coming out that we haven't been told about. Maybe they only released information on the sets that were leaked on ebay, and that explains the delay on the official press release and Al's video, and why Al said there's one set missing from his video, maybe its the same set that was missing from the ebay auction?

Or maybe we humans are always seeing patterns in things that aren't there.

TheOnComingStorm

I love this theory!

dorkjackson

Post by dorkjackson »

It'd be a fun idea but makes virtually no financial sense; dropping a secret set without any advertisement prior to release.

CO would want to promote it surely to increase sales? I'm sure there'll just be some sort of admin error in B&Ms numbering system. I'd be thrilled to be proven wrong though! :D

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks »

dorkjackson wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:28 pm
It'd be a fun idea but makes virtually no financial sense; dropping a secret set without any advertisement prior to release.

CO would want to promote it surely to increase sales? I'm sure there'll just be some sort of admin error in B&Ms numbering system. I'd be thrilled to be proven wrong though! :D
So, while I agree that not promoting a set would be bad marketing/bad business, I think there could be other things going on here:

1. Remember, the video hasn't dropped/These aren't in stores yet.
Saying they aren't promoting something that isn't even available to pre-order yet is a bit hasty. A last minute addition could still be added to the video, and get more than adequate promotion. If anything, that could create fresh buzz right before/during release.

2. Maybe something didn't clear/arrive on time.
Less likely but feasible, maybe a planned set needed clearance on rights/likeness. I can't imagine a Classic Doctor set needing new likeness rights; The only things I could imagine requiring approval that I can theorize would be a Ruth & Classic TARDIS or a "Logopolis" TARDIS with a velvet Ainley....and the latter depends on rumours about rights being true, and both require new molds, heads, or wraps. So.....this is beyond a longshot, it's trying to find answers to a likeness rights delay that I doubt is even an issue.

More likely, maybe something was planned that needed more work or was projected for release with this wave but now may be an interim set.

3. It's probably not a 3-pack, or more Daleks.
I kinda doubt, with the sheer amount of new heads/wraps/companions and likenesses that ANOTHER 3-pack was in the cards. And despite Al misleading us on Classic Daleks being in play producing Dalek figures probably IS still expensive. The current 2 sets use one mold per set with paint variations; That probably helps cost a bit. But a THIRD Dalek set would need a third mold/Dalek model completely different to these. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see that happening.

I'd put good money that if something was held back/delayed, it was a TARDIS set. If nothing else they're running out of meaningful variants with broad appeal, so slowing that down would make sense to me. Sure, we could do a tartan trousers 4th Doctor and Newbury-without-blue-light model, but is that really an essential purchase for someone who already grabbed 2 4th Doctor TARDIS sets in the last 2 waves?

Not a bad interrim set though. Or a "War Machines" or "Tenth Planet" Hartnell with a TARDIS similar to the Trougton? Maybe not released with the Troughton set when it could be a "one or the other" debate but as an interim it could work.

4. It could just be arbitrary.
The 8th Doctor wasn't wrong about patterns. We could just be hopeful that there's something there when it was an arbitrary number assignment.

BeepTheMeep

Post by BeepTheMeep »

I love this mystery! Have you tried making a barcode from the missing numbers and seeing if the b and m app recognises it?

BeepTheMeep

Post by BeepTheMeep »

And remember, this release was essentially spoiled by the leak, so perhaps, if the leak was incomplete, the Grand Waso and his galactic council decided to withhold the mystery set from that first announcement so as to regain some of the buzz that was essentially lost to the leak, and create a bit more wow when they do the vid etc, which is closer to the time when people can run out and buy them.

TheOnComingStorm

I'm with this theory! I think we may have another tardis set. We had 2 tardis sera last year. My bet is a 1st Dr and tardis. Here's hoping. When is this video ready Al?