DalekCheese

Re: B&M doctor who sets.

Post by DalekCheese »

For Luck's Sake wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:16 pm
Doctor Gamer wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:40 pm
We were fooled, but for a good cause
I really don't see how this actually did anything for the cause of bullying.

Just got more attention for his fledgling Youtube channel, if you ask me.

The whole "for a cause" thing just seemed like window dressing.
I’ve missed something- what was the message, who did it bully, and what was it disguised as?

Doctor What

Post by Doctor What »

I was very sceptical about this supposed variant (and turns out I was right to be), can't really knock the message of the video, fair play to him, it's a good cause.

CharlieTheWhovian

Post by CharlieTheWhovian »

Deborah J wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:24 pm
yeah, I'm maybe a little too cynical, but I don't really see how doing a fakeout like that helps particularly, and it guarantees everyoneis going to drop in on the video, sure it's a good message to share, but is that a good way to spread a message? I don't think people are really going to take it in if you've tricked them into listening to it, it's just going to make them annoyed. Message fine, delivery not great.
Especially when there are enough rumours flying around about the show as it is... :?

Kaldor

Post by Kaldor »

For Luck's Sake wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:16 pm
Doctor Gamer wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:40 pm
We were fooled, but for a good cause
I really don't see how this actually did anything for the cause of bullying.

Just got more attention for his fledgling Youtube channel, if you ask me.

The whole "for a cause" thing just seemed like window dressing.
Spot on! Although there were the usual “leakers” claiming this wasn’t a real release, which was a nice change :lol:

Theta Sigma

Post by Theta Sigma »

SJF wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:13 pm
Theta Sigma wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:51 pm
Correct me if I'm wrong, but BBCW dictate the packaging scheme across all licensees so as to make it obvious it's all one line, but I also assumed the reduced color palette (blue) on boxes for recent releases was also a financial choice of CO's given the reduced lamination of the past few years too.

Anyhow, just wondering aloud, as that mockup box is FAR more eyecatching than what we've had lately. It would be a wise move for whomever the decision rests with to make them pop visually like that on store shelves...especially compared to this dull matte blue.
No that Dalek pack is a fan photoshop. But the guy who has the Revolution Jodie figure replies to that tweet basically saying “look at what I’ve tweeted recently” as though he’s hinting that there’s Daleks on the back of the box.
I acknowledged it wasn't real in the post you quoted. The design is what I was commenting on. His conduct is another matter.
Formerly Thete, and Theta Sigma of DWT fora past...

Dalekoddjob

Post by Dalekoddjob »

Forgive me if I've missed something, but this is a bit difficut for an old man like me to follow. I know the Dalek pack was fake, but are we sying the Revolution Jodie is fake too?

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

Dalekoddjob wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:47 am
Forgive me if I've missed something, but this is a bit difficut for an old man like me to follow. I know the Dalek pack was fake, but are we sying the Revolution Jodie is fake too?
yes, the person who originally posted about it says he faked it to demonstrate how quickly a rumour can spread around the internet, which apparently is the main crux of his overall "don't do bullying" message... feels like there are a couple of steps missing but there you go.

For Luck's Sake

Post by For Luck's Sake »

Deborah J wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:40 am
Dalekoddjob wrote:
yes, the person who originally posted about it says he faked it to demonstrate how quickly a rumour can spread around the internet, which apparently is the main crux of his overall "don't do bullying" message... feels like there are a couple of steps missing but there you go.
To be fair to all of us, a person who has a Youtube channel dedicated to Doctor Who action figure reviews faking a figure, claiming he was sent it by Character Options, teasing reveals on social media, and even doing a mockup in packaging is not “a rumor” or a social experiment to watch a rumor spread.

It is a hoax engineered by someone who claims to be a trusted reviewer of CO products.

And really, it points to an attention-grabbing campaign to get more views and likes for his Youtube Channel and does absolutely nothing for the cause of “bullying.”

We're all good people in the Doctor Who figure world and there are no hard feelings. But just imagine how upset people would be if this was done with Doctor Who missing episodes....

DalekCheese

Post by DalekCheese »

For Luck's Sake wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:21 am
Deborah J wrote:
Dalekoddjob wrote:
To be fair to all of us, a person who has a Youtube channel dedicated to Doctor Who action figure reviews faking a figure, claiming he was sent it by Character Options, teasing reveals on social media, and even doing a mockup in packaging is not “a rumor” or a social experiment to watch a rumor spread.

It is a hoax engineered by someone who claims to be a trusted reviewer of CO products.

And really, it points to an attention-grabbing campaign to get more views and likes for his Youtube Channel and does absolutely nothing for the cause of “bullying.”

We're all good people in the Doctor Who figure world and there are no hard feelings. But just imagine how upset people would be if this was done with Doctor Who missing episodes....
Haha, just imagine if there was a twitterer saying that he wouldn’t release missing episodes if people offend him...haha... just imagine....

Dalekoddjob

Post by Dalekoddjob »

For Luck's Sake wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:21 am
Deborah J wrote:
Dalekoddjob wrote:

To my mind he needs blacklisting as a potential reviewer and a cease and decist from COs legal department. Thats what the company I work for would do. What a complete idiot. There are lots of vulnerable people in the Who collecting world who will be distressed by this.