B&M doctor who sets.

For Luck's Sake

Re: B&M doctor who sets.

Post by For Luck's Sake »

I do wonder if the leak is from someone in the production chain who snagged a couple of sets, and are now claiming they got it an 'unnamed B&M' that put out its stock early in order to avoid detection.

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

From what Al was saying earlier, it sounded like they genuinely did pop up in a B&M somewhere, or that was how I interpreted it. That's what happened with last autumn's davros set, it went up in shops in australia before the announcement

Bundesrat

Post by Bundesrat »

Uncle Abe raises some good points there - the finder of these was savvy enough to buy them and share the pictures but then drops silent and makes no further attempt to capitalise on this world exclusive by doing a video, additional photos, or help out other collectors by even mentioning the name of the store.

I’d tend to go with For Luck’s Sake’s take.

Al maybe has no more information than anyone else so it taking it on face value?

Avon

Post by Avon »

Just (pre pandemic) observations, my nearest B&M's have the odd seasonal "reset", they move everything about the isle, new stuff comes out, old stuff disappears, often as with my branches, self space is tight to no existent and if they operate anything like some other similar stores, they get given a shelf plan to put the stock out (so you can walk into a similar B&M and they're in roughly the same spot in relation to other toys, arranged by size, got the correct price tags/end isle cap/etc, brand image and all that).

I'm guessing B&M don't have a street date system as until very recently, it seemed they operated very similar to home bargains, buying leftover stock cheap and distributing it to some stores, not all, and then even down to what that store orders or needs, I guess based on how quickly stock moves and what space is available or what they think they can sell (a recent example, my three local stores all got different waves of the new Star Trek Mego figures, the ones in the city lasted two days before going down to the last few pegwarmers, the ones out in my local town remained untouched for months). But since Toys R Us went, they're more and more getting "current" stock and regionally rather than locally, I'm thinking specifically a deal with Lego to have a presence, but it's very possible unfortunately that someone might've gone into the stock room, grabbed and opened a box labeled "Doctor Who figures" and stuck them on the shelf without looking, knowing the difference or even checking (which really, really shouldn't, but does happen as someone who's worked in retail). If that's what happened and they'r weren't lifted from a warehouse, I do wonder how they ended up in the stockroom, unless someone requested a Who restock in the system and they sent the wrong stuff

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

The price reductions on the old sets fairly helped shift the last of the stock in my B&M, they didn't have just an awful lot left before then, but last time I was in there were maybe 3 of the second jodie set, 1 of the first and nothing else, and that was a few weeks back, they'll be pretty much cleared out by now, so they're all ready for the next sets. If I were to wildly speculate, and this is based on nothing but supposition, I wonder if the actual announcement is due very soon, with a view to have the announcement pretty much coincide with the release - bare in mind last year because of the leaks the announcement came earlier than intended and we had a longer wait before the sets reached the shelves and everyone was kind of grumpy, I feel like they might have been trying to offset that by keeping quiet until it was time. And then these sets have slipped through early through overenthusiasm somewhere along the chain. That's just my take on it, though,

Bundesrat

Post by Bundesrat »

Just reading on the merchandise site that they’ve not reached the B&M warehouse yet so are not available for distribution to the shops, which add weight to these not being on the shelves in an unnamed B&M store.

Tardis_H63

Post by Tardis_H63 »

Bundesrat wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:49 pm
Just reading on the merchandise site that they’ve not reached the B&M warehouse yet so are not available for distribution to the shops, which add weight to these not being on the shelves in an unnamed B&M store.
I can't see that on there anywhere? Where is it on the merchandise site?

Telecaster

Post by Telecaster »

Looking forward to an official unveiling! Certainly had my doubts about the 'leaked list' and various FB fans claiming secret info from B&M. But it's great to see the line doing well.

Mastersclanger

Post by Mastersclanger »

Telecaster wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:18 pm
Looking forward to an official unveiling! Certainly had my doubts about the 'leaked list' and various FB fans claiming secret info from B&M. But it's great to see the line doing well.
I agree totally with your statement that it's great to see so much interest. I've always been of the opinion not to listen to rumours as I like to avoid disappointment. However the Sensorites seem an odd chose, a Tegan possibility is more on the cards as she has a following.

Bundesrat

Post by Bundesrat »

Tardis_H63 wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:10 pm
Bundesrat wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:49 pm
I can't see that on there anywhere? Where is it on the merchandise site?
On ‘Ask a question’ there are some entries under the ‘Coal Hill Set’ - it is in amongst them that it is said they’ve not reached the warehouse.