B&M doctor who sets.

skifflebits

Re: B&M doctor who sets.

Post by skifflebits »

I'm sure I'm not the first person to notice this, but I just realized the Sensorite body could be used for the Voord, the Raston, and the Earthshock Stealth robot, which would line up with the rumors of Marinus, Earthshock, and Five Doctors sets.

Yeah, I'm just catching up. Forgive me, it's been a hectic week. :)

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks »

skifflebits wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:41 pm
I'm sure I'm not the first person to notice this, but I just realized the Sensorite body could be used for the Voord, the Raston, and the Earthshock Stealth robot, which would line up with the rumors of Marinus, Earthshock, and Five Doctors sets.

I mean, there is the matter of the Silver disk on the Sensorites' body. That looks molded on.

And the Voord have zip up suits (without the disk). You could omit or paint in that detail/use a wrap, but either way it's not complete body reuse. (The Raston and Android though would be very direct sharing, however.)

Again, I'm hoping this is less a "Variants of Yaz, Ryan, and Graham" reuse and more a "UNIT Axos -> UNIT Zygons" situation with some surprises, especially for the 5th era sets if that's how it's to play out. There's so much the could do for a "5 Doctors" set; I'd be let down if it was just Cyberman - Raston - Another 5th Doctor. (Particularly if "Earthshock" has a 5th Doctor figure too!)

3DPrintingDoctorWho

Post by 3DPrintingDoctorWho »

skifflebits wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:41 pm

Yep, the generic Axos/Sharaz Jek body and Auton/Captain Jack/Brigadier boiler suit are Character Options go-to bodies these days.
It really is too bad that they didn't create a few more "bodysuit" aliens back in the day because a simple unwrinkled generic skin-tight body suit could be used not only for the Raston and Stealth robot, but Aridians, Fish People, Uxarieans, Xaraphim, and so many more.

Even more importantly, I'd say the Axos torso could be combined with a modified Clara or Ace skirt to give us a black sweatered Jamie from The Mind Robber figure.

If they do give us Voord in the Marinus set, I wonder if they're going to retool a few of the existing Invasion Cybermen bodies? They used the exact same wetsuits (well, one of the Voord did at any rate), but the Cybermen figures have holes cut into the chests and arms for mounting the chest unit and piping. However, because the dies used to make figures are inverse molds, it's easier to take holes away from a figure than it is to add a new one.
It would be physically possible for Character Options to do so... it just may not be monetarily advantageous because retooling is an expensive process, and it'd mean they couldn't use them again to re-release the Invasion figures down the road, which may be worth more to them in the long run than a Voord set now.

ImageImage

SJF

Post by SJF »

My hopes for this years sets are probably:

The Sensorites Collectors Set (confirmed)
The First Doctor
First Elder Sensorite
Warrior Sensorite

The Keys of Marinus Collectors Set
Susan Foreman
Yartek
Voord

Earthshock Collectors Set
Tegan Jovanka
Android
Cyberman

The Five Doctors Collectors Set
Vislor Turlough
Raston Warrior Robot
The Third Doctor

Just praying we get a few companions mixed in there tbh. I know people were saying Adric would make more sense in an Earthshock set but this way you’d get the Season 21 Fifth Doctor team in one swoop. Like I wouldn’t really want Adric as my only Fifth Doctor companion. Idk though I will ultimately take anything.

But I do feel like these sets are nice mixture of companions, villains and a few Doctor variants which would strike quite a nice balance after last year.

Spannerintheworks

SJF wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:36 pm
My hopes for this years sets are probably:

The Sensorites Collectors Set (confirmed)
The First Doctor
First Elder Sensorite
Warrior Sensorite

The Keys of Marinus Collectors Set
Susan Foreman
Yartek
Voord

Earthshock Collectors Set
Tegan Jovanka
Android
Cyberman

The Five Doctors Collectors Set
Vislor Turlough
Raston Warrior Robot
The Third Doctor

Just praying we get a few companions mixed in there tbh. I know people were saying Adric would make more sense in an Earthshock set but this way you’d get the Season 21 Fifth Doctor team in one swoop. Like I wouldn’t really want Adric as my only Fifth Doctor companion. Idk though I will ultimately take anything.

But I do feel like these sets are nice mixture of companions, villains and a few Doctor variants which would strike quite a nice balance after last year.
This is precisely what I'm hoping for; I'd even take a 5 Doctors set sans Turlough with a Tegan variant (or Cyberman/Cyberleader) instead.

What really raises questions for me is exactly WHEN these all show up. I don't mean a release date, I mean are these ONE wave, or the Summer and Fall/Winter wave?

Because if these ARE all coming out at once, I'm entirely skeptical of companions being omitted. Maybe a couple years ago we were in a place where 2 simultaneously released First Doctor sets would've had a paint variant of the First Doctor in each. But now (especially with 2/3 of the set being the same base figure - presumably the Voord set follows this pattern, too), I feel like it also makes good value to offer 2 sets with different content; They're each an essential collector purchase then.

Plus, we saw multiple body reuses last year work with an astounding amount of new headsculpts. This already looks like a similar move, and Hartnell could be a repaint/rerelease like the Brigadier was (amidst otherwise new figures)

BUT, if the "Sensorites" set is out in, say, July and "Marinus" is out in the fall, then I have to concede that it seemingly becomes more likely that a First Doctor variant is in each. (But then, we DID have a set with Harry Sullivan as the standalone companion with 2 aliens, so what do I know?)

Still weirded out that we've no announcement yet.

Spannerintheworks

Also, I know the likelihood on the Raston Warrior Robot, Cyberman/Cyberleader, and Third Doctor to be high, but....

Can we just ponder how many options a "Five Doctors" theme gives?

Rereleases/Repaints
Fifth Doctor (Season 20)
First Doctor (Hartnell head, with gloved hands)
Second Doctor (Without coat)
Third Doctor (Cloak)
Fourth Doctor (Either "Traken" set repaint without coat, or "Shada" rerelease)
Cyberman/Cyberleader
K-9
Yates in Dress Uniform (Yeah, I realized this fits here. Funny, right?)

New Head needed
First Doctor (Hurndall, Hartnell body reuse/repaint)
The Brigadier (Remember, we've no hatless Brig! A suit coat body reuse works from there.)
Turlough (Couple suited body repaint/reuse options.)
Raston Warrior Robot (Jek/Axon body reuse)

Headsculpt exists/parts swap or new wrap needed
The Master (I really, really think this a great opportunity)
Sarah Jane Smith (admittedly, it'd be a lot to reproduce that outfit.)
Romana (Same issue as above)

They're in it, but New Head/Wrap/Parts needed
Susan
Jamie
Zoe
Liz Shaw (Although, what a weird opportunity to get Liz done!)
2nd Doctor in Fur Coat
Tegan
Borusa (or any Time Lords)

Miscellany
Season 20 TARDIS (We've basically gotten this twice in 2 years already.)
Death Zone Dalek (Unique and doable, but unsure how it'd be offered/packaged)
Yeti. (Sigh)

So again, while I admit the "3rd - Raston - Cyberman" is likely, look at some of even the first 3 categories- There's some GREAT set combos there. (Master - Cyberman - Cyberleader; 3rd Doctor - Sarah Jane - Raston; First Doctor (either) - Tegan - Cyberleader; etc.)

3DPrintingDoctorWho

Post by 3DPrintingDoctorWho »

I'd say it's almost a certainly that any Five Doctors set is going to include the previously cancelled Hurndall Doctor, since it's just a head (that they already had prototypes and possibly a couple of dies cut for) and a repainted Hartnell body with some fingerless gloves added, and a Raston Warrior Robot (assuming they go for the stealth android in the Earthshock set).

The third figure could be just about anything, but I'd have to say a Turlough using the existing James Lester body makes the most sense financially, especially if they give us a Tegan in the Earthshock set.

If they give us a Five Doctors Cyber Leader instead, it'd be great if it had a removable head that fit in the Raston's hand or Cyber Bomb accessory to make it a little more interesting.

The cheapest Five Doctors figure for them to do would be a "fading" 5th Doctor, printed clear and painted the same way as the hologram 9th and 10th.

Bundesrat

Post by Bundesrat »

3DPrintingDoctorWho wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:33 pm
The cheapest Five Doctors figure for them to do would be a "fading" 5th Doctor, printed clear and painted the same way as the hologram 9th and 10th.
Oh great idea!!

SJF

Post by SJF »

I don’t know if they’d necessarily want to do another First Doctor figure when there’s potentially two or three others coming this year as well.

Whereas the Third Doctor sneaks in every year regardless.

Koth2

Post by Koth2 »

Could the planned 1st Doctors Tardis come with Susan?