B&M doctor who sets.

TheSparrow

Re: B&M doctor who sets.

Post by TheSparrow »

ANewWatchBegins wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:03 am
Slightly tweaked 5th Doctor and his gimp suit gang.
I'm absolutely crying in laughter at this :lol:

Telecaster

Post by Telecaster »

Spannerintheworks wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:12 am
ANewWatchBegins wrote:
I only hope that the next time they sort out the distribution and quantities. For some unfathomable reason this last wave has left an abundance of the Earthshock set on shelves and the Unearthly Child set has been whipped up within minutes of being on shelves. It's almost as if a set with a highly desirable TARDIS model could have had more produced, and maybe less of the slightly tweaked 5th Doctor and his gimp suit gang which seems to be destined to be a shelf warmer.
I mean, I have the "Earthshock" set, and it really does the most it can with its figure selection. The bomb is a lovely touch.

I notice to get the most out of new heads/hands/feet and occasional sashes/belts/accessories, it was ONE body mould. That's telling.

When we saw Romana(s), Sarah Jane, and Yaz they also tried to maximize 2-3 different body moulds across sets. BUT, they also were just straight up putting new heads on old bodies with different paint apps. (With the exception of a scarf and ONE new wrap for "Kroll" Romana)

My guess is if we're gonna see Susan, Tegan, Barbara, Zoe, etc.....then it's gonna be a wave where they can divide 1-2 body reuses across 2-4 new heads. And it'll almost certainly be with Turlough (an easy head swap/repaint of Ian) or a Doctor/villain reissue/repaint.

Something like Jamie? Or the Ainley Master? Maybe they'd be possible, but almost certainly with straight up reissues or repaints. (Like say, Jamie and an Ice Warrior and Tomb Cyberman. Or Ainley and Season 18 4th and Regenerated 5.)

Unless things get even better. But the "Earthshock" set definitely puts into sharp relief that there's give (Sensorites, Voord, Raston Warrior Robots, Ian, New Dalek arms/heads & a New TARDIS roof) and take (1st & 5th Doctor reissues, and the Androids in spite of companion demand) with the B&M budget structure as we were Lurker-told many times.

Very well put. I wasn't thrilled at any of the monster choices this year, save for the Raston. But it is impressive how they got such use out of one body.

JamieBate

Post by JamieBate »

Seems like maybe we should just say that the sets come out in early autumn and early winter rather than getting fingers crossed for July and October this time around. I’ve more or less completed my indulgent army building for another year. 11 Day drones, two gold, 7 mixed and matched Power/Evil drones and an army of 80s Cybermen

Drewski1981

Post by Drewski1981 »

Anyone know when the new Robot sets will start hitting shelves yet?

I hadn't appreciated these were a very limited edition release, so I'm assuming the scalpers will be all over them. Assuming they even make it into all stores and areas as it is.

The last few releases seem to have been shambolic in distribution.
Sad is happy for deep people.

The Outcast

Post by The Outcast »

If the next lot of B&M sets are all stacked towards the end of the year, I'd hope we'll get a CO online exclusive around Summer time to help balance that out somewhat, so it's not an eight months of radio silence and waiting. Though, on the brighter side, months of silence gives me enough time to save and also set about seeing if I can't get another Day of the Dalek set (I've decided I want a second because the Daleks are just v nice, and also I want two gold Daleks to flank the big Planet Supreme when I eventually acquire one) and see about acquiring some of the villain figures I've not gotten yet.

Anyway, from what I understand, the Robot set should arrive towards the end of the month, so probably a week or two out from seeing them. Can't wait to acquire my big Robot, will look nice on the shelf.

Independently Cross

Post by Independently Cross »

JamieBate wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:56 am
Seems like maybe we should just say that the sets come out in early autumn and early winter rather than getting fingers crossed for July and October this time around. I’ve more or less completed my indulgent army building for another year. 11 Day drones, two gold, 7 mixed and matched Power/Evil drones and an army of 80s Cybermen
Blimey!!
<Inserts Obi-Wan "You must be very proud" meme>
Must look incredible.
'Living the dream', as people briefly said.

Independently Cross

Post by Independently Cross »

TheSparrow wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:52 am
ANewWatchBegins wrote:
Slightly tweaked 5th Doctor and his gimp suit gang.
I'm absolutely crying in laughter at this :lol:
Now, now- no kink-shaming 😜

JamieBate

Post by JamieBate »

Independently Cross wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:11 pm
JamieBate wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:56 am
Blimey!!
<Inserts Obi-Wan "You must be very proud" meme>
Must look incredible.
'Living the dream', as people briefly said.
Definitely a dream accomplished! I’m looking forward to Genesis in particular too, (not forgetting death!) but the dark grey is the definitive 70s for me

Bundesrat

Post by Bundesrat »

JamieBate wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:40 pm
I’m looking forward to Genesis in particular too, (not forgetting death!) but the dark grey is the definitive 70s for me
Yea, the monochrome and simplistic logo on ‘The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway’ really is the epitome of rock (without the glam) for that era, and who could ever forget the track ‘Anyway’ with the line ‘O boy! running man is out of death’. Dalek Cheese might have a different take.

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks »

Bundesrat wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:23 pm
JamieBate wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:40 pm
I’m looking forward to Genesis in particular too, (not forgetting death!) but the dark grey is the definitive 70s for me
Yea, the monochrome and simplistic logo on ‘The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway’ really is the epitome of rock (without the glam) for that era, and who could ever forget the track ‘Anyway’ with the line ‘O boy! running man is out of death’. Dalek Cheese might have a different take.
Hilariously, you're actually not the only person who did this audio association with the "G" capitalized, and I even leaned toward the same album. 8-)