The “Questions for The Lurker” thread

Theta Sigma

Re: The “Questions for The Lurker” thread

Post by Theta Sigma »

Wow, add me to the list of those who are really grateful you deigned to answer these questions. It does put my mind at ease on a few fronts! (Well, except one)
Lurker at the Edge wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:41 pm
The ole movie Daleks remain under a separate license and we can only produce TV Daleks seen onscreen in the series so it’s a very distinct line that doesn’t relate just to the ‘claw’ sadly. I love those Movie Daleks.
Thanks for (re?)settling that. I do wonder if you have considered re-seeking a license from Canal. (Not expecting a comment there, just my opining.)
Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:32 pm
As a side note on the B&W sets that someone asked I have to say they did not sell at all well the year they were released so it’s was never repeated and when an item fails it’s A hard to reason why you’d go back to a potential problem again as any failure directly affects the success of the line.
:shock:

That was actually a stunner. While I wasn't at SDCC that year, and didn't see how fast they sold at the booth, those few retailers that UT sent remaining stock sold out FAST. As I'm sure you've seen, these now command a high price on eBay, so I'm naturally perplexed by the judgement. :cry:

I'm still good for the black and white cookies if that'll change anything... ;)
Formerly Thete, and Theta Sigma of DWT fora past...

TheOnComingStorm

Post by TheOnComingStorm »

Thank you Al for taking the time to answer my questions. It was lovely to read other people's questions and your answers too.

TheOnComingStorm

Post by TheOnComingStorm »

Hi Al

Can I please ask another question regarding packaging design?

What was the reasoning behind the different colours used for the first 4 seasons and why did this design feature stop with Series 5?
If it was to continue, what colour eould Series 5 be? I loved the red, blue, green, purple packaging for each series. I thought it was great to see which series the figure was from by its colour. Thank you

Wholords2

Post by Wholords2 »

Another question I just thought of!

How did the waxy plastic heads in 2007-2008 come about and would you ever get any of them re-released but painted?? I feel like the yana, pantallion suit 10th doc and editor heads would look spectacular painted.
Insta-@wholords2
Twitter-@wholords2

Making customs and collecting Doctor who figures for over a decade

Lurker at the Edge

Post by Lurker at the Edge »

Hi

The Yana heads were an experiment ... i was getting frustrated at seeing nice crisp tooling details end up filled in and smoothed out with deco so i tried to do a head shot with a semi translucent PVC that would keep the details and look good. unfortunately as you know we ended up with the slightly shiny surface (nothing some Testers dull cote cant solve) and the opacity was a little off ... with some tweaking we could have got there but it wasn't well received and we got a lot of negative feedback.
Some of those were rereleased under B&M i believe.

Packaging wise ... pack style guides always evolve so most of those early Series packs were evolutionary ... aka one to the next being visually similar .... but when a new Doctor comes along 9 times out of Ten the packaging guide changes and then its much more difficult to push for things that won't easily fit into that new guide. Not always the case but often.

Lurker at the Edge

So the question on figures not released .. i think its safe to say there are at current count around 15 figures that have never been released and remain as sculpts only ... either complete figures, variants or parts such as heads etc ...

As to the ones that never leaked .. most have but there are some digital figures that never got released .. including:

The God Complex Minotaur *Seen
The Solonian Mutt
The Quark
The Fisherking
The Service Robot

Rebel_Whovian101

Post by Rebel_Whovian101 »

Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:27 pm
So the question on figures not released .. i think its safe to say there are at current count around 15 figures that have never been released and remain as sculpts only ... either complete figures, variants or parts such as heads etc ...

As to the ones that never leaked .. most have but there are some digital figures that never got released .. including:

The God Complex Minotaur *Seen
The Solonian Mutt
The Quark
The Fisherking
The Service Robot
Oh I would've loved to have seen that Fisherking. I know a fair few people who would've jumped at the chance to have a Quark in their collection as well.

Doctor Gamer

Post by Doctor Gamer »

The fisherking would’ve been great. We have a great gap in the capaldi era so it’d be really fantastic to possibly get that gap filled at least a bit in future b&m releases

Lurker at the Edge

Very unlikely it was HUGE and never submitted in for approval so its not likely to ver be a B&M release

BoundryHopper

Post by BoundryHopper »

1) I've always wondered... apart from shop demand, what affects whether a figure gets released or not, especially one's that most fans would think of as dead certain? Eg. The New Series Zygon, the latest Cybermen, etc.

2) Have you ever thought about bringing out playsets made entirely of card and self assembled? So like the Pyramids of Mars Rocket but on a grander scale (A Console Room for instance), would that not be a lot cheaper than a plastic version?

3) As a fan, do you actually collect the figures yourself?
:evil: #SAYNOTOSCALPERS :twisted: