Big Finish

Anything About Doctor Who *Caution Spoilers*
ANewWatchBegins

Re: Big Finish

Post by ANewWatchBegins »

Is anyone into the Torchwood audios? I'd really love to jump into them, and a friend got me 'Series 5', the ones continuing the show. Is that a good place to start with them or do you need any context? Trying to get myself out walking a lot more especially in the pandemic so I'm thinking audios could be a good shout for that - but it'd probably be quite slow going with the cost of getting all the audios.

SJF

Post by SJF »

ANewWatchBegins wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:37 pm
Is anyone into the Torchwood audios? I'd really love to jump into them, and a friend got me 'Series 5', the ones continuing the show. Is that a good place to start with them or do you need any context? Trying to get myself out walking a lot more especially in the pandemic so I'm thinking audios could be a good shout for that - but it'd probably be quite slow going with the cost of getting all the audios.
You can start there, but there’s an arc spanning a lot of the monthly range which is helpful for context for Series 6.

Although to get the gist of it, you could just listen to The Torchwood Archive.

There’s a couple of Series 4.5 audios that bridge the gap between Miracle Day and Aliens Among Us quite nicely for Gwen, Rhys and Andy but they’re by no means necessary.

So yeah nothing strictly needed for Series 5, but I’d recommend giving at least the Torchwood Archive a listen before Series 6.

SJF

Post by SJF »

So a few more details about the Ninth Doctor audios have been revealed.

They started recording today and all the volumes are a connected series called “Ravagers”.

The first episode is called Sphere of Freedom.

It’s solo Nine, or at least Rose isn’t in the first story and the second lead is a character called Nova.

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks »

SJF wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:44 pm
It’s solo Nine, or at least Rose isn’t in the first story and the second lead is a character called Nova.
I kind of expect a lot of these to be solo 9; Not really sure where Billie Piper falls on the "Eccleston falls out with the Davies Production crew" bit. But hypothetically if I were Big Finish and working with Eccleston meant sticking to a timeline prior to "Rose" and the Series 1 crew, I wouldn't say no.

And yeah, it could be down to Piper not being available/affordable/etc. I really hope we get to hear Piper and Eccleston on a story or 3 eventually though.

But it's still Eccleston as 9. Beggars, choosers, etc. ;)

And hey! I like Big Finish and all, but anyone wanna take bets on their frequent events:

How soon until....

*9 meets River?
*9 meets (insert Classic/New Series Doctor here) - This one I'm really uneasy with, continuity wise...
*9 meets Classic Monsters?

The last one I'm actually expecting with round 1. And sarcasm aside, I do hope it's good.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

SJF wrote:

They started recording today and all the volumes are a connected series called “Ravagers”.

Well, the TARDIS *did* dematerialize completely at the end of "Rose" before coming back to pick her up. Nine could have been gone a hundred years for all we know.

And stayed sad the whole time.

SJF

Post by SJF »

skifflebits wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:53 am
SJF wrote:

Well, the TARDIS *did* dematerialize completely at the end of "Rose" before coming back to pick her up. Nine could have been gone a hundred years for all we know.

And stayed sad the whole time.
Tbh I’d be happy enough if it was all just pre-Rose. Like even RTD doesn’t think that the ears line meant Nine was newly regenerated.

CharlieTheWhovian

Post by CharlieTheWhovian »

It's a shame he and Barrowman hated one another. I'd love a new boxset of Nine, Rose & Jack.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

CharlieTheWhovian wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:47 pm
It's a shame he and Barrowman hated one another.
Did they?

I guess I'm somehow not surprised.

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks »

skifflebits wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:33 pm
CharlieTheWhovian wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:47 pm
It's a shame he and Barrowman hated one another.
Did they?

I guess I'm somehow not surprised.
The more I find out about Barrowman, the less I want him back. It's kinda sad.

My girlfriend and I met him. He seemed very distracted, and she immediately felt like he was fighting off annoyance accommodating us. At the time, I assured her that he probably had a lot going on and was tired (it was a convention) but now, looking back I'm less sure of that.

I know Davies era fans love him, but yeah: Tread carefully if you want to go down the rabbit hole about him off-camera. I'll comment less in that regard (I mean, I can literally take ownership of my prior anecdote, but less so others' stories) Based on what I learned I don't blame Eccleston and wouldn't exactly want to work with him again either.

Still curious if Piper will turn up with him. I've never heard either discuss it. Piper always seemingly pivots to her personal experience or Tennant, and I remember a Graham Norton appearance where she discussed Tennant and Smith but Eccleston never merited a mention.

SJF

Post by SJF »

Tbh I’d suspect that it’s more a case of Chris and Billie just not staying in touch or anything so they don’t have a particularly close relationship. I’ve seen interviews where Chris speaks fondly of Billie, so I don’t think there’s any bad blood on his end. Can’t claim anything about what she thinks though. But I think the thing is, Eccleston has completely distanced himself from all things related to Doctor Who until the last few years and has only just started attending conventions. Whereas David, Matt and Billie have been doing conventions together for years and are seeing each other semi-regularly. So I could see why Billie would talk about David and Matt, two people she sees a couple of times a year and is probably good friends with, but not Chris who she worked with for a few months 15 years ago and probably hasn’t spoken to since.

Obviously this is all just conjecture, but I do suspect we’ll get Nine/Rose stories eventually. They probably just started with Solo Nine to give Eccleston something new and different to work with.

BF managed to get Louise Jameson to work with Tom Baker, so I could certainly see them getting Chris and Billie together.

Barrowman just isn't going to happen though. Only chance is separate recordings, but I suspect Chris will probably object to even having his name on the same project as John. But that’s again just conjecture.